The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 29, 2024, 04:54:11 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Random Password Changes?  (Read 6782 times)
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I hadn't noticed it happening before....
Occassionally a secret server's password will change for no reason, i'll check the logs there's been no sniffer or anything...

I started activating a virus, by the time it was done activating for some reason I had to recrack the server = rebounce  14
It's happened a couple of times, is it supposed to and if so why isn't there a log?

Discuss  13

Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:24 PM »

halfway thorugh their crash time a secret server will upgrade its firewall software which in turn resets the password.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 02:34:44 PM »

Thanks  13

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:58:54 PM »

why does the firewall change the pass?

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »

They upgrade both firewall and password protect.

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 04:45:26 PM »

ah k

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:09:42 AM »

It's really annoying  14

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »

yeah but i think this post might as well be locked and moved to faq

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Exousia
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »

It's really annoying  14

That's kind of the point.  16 You can't expect these big megacorps to sit around and just ignore attacks. That they only react as slowly as they do is rather insane and "unrealistic."

Even in today's terms, there are teams of people resetting dynamic IPs and improving defenses constantly for even the smallest corporations, even if it's just Microsoft Update. Many companies force employees to change their passwords every week or two. (Granted these employees, their brains the size of walnuts, cycle back and forth between two very simple ones, but that would still reset the password table.)
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »

Hey I recycle the last 6  (only because they don't allow the last 6 to be used)... Then I post the password on my monitor for everyone in my group to see.

I admire the attempt at provide protection.  But trying to remember a new password every couple of weeks and on top of that all the other systems I use (which I have a password safe for) becomes a nightmare.

Exousia
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »

That's why real hacking is all about patience and meticulously researching your target. Not that I've ever done it.  shifty
Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 01:49:50 AM »

Hey I recycle the last 6  (only because they don't allow the last 6 to be used)... Then I post the password on my monitor for everyone in my group to see.

I admire the attempt at provide protection.  But trying to remember a new password every couple of weeks and on top of that all the other systems I use (which I have a password safe for) becomes a nightmare.

brok - an easy thing to do with companies like this is - pick one of your fave words lets say hack - then on the first of every month change it thus

hackjanuary
hackfebruary
hackmarch
hackapril

that will give you 12 passwords that are easy to remember without the need to postit on ya monitor.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 06:38:12 AM »

I have about 4 passwords at different security levels
But it takes me a massive amount of attempts to get it right on sites that are like, you must have one number, one lowercase, one uppercase and be at least 8 digits long

P.I.M.A

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »

But it takes me a massive amount of attempts to get it right on sites that are like, you must have one number, one lowercase, one uppercase and be at least 8 digits long

P.I.M.A

This is exactly how my company is.  must be eight digits long, must have one number, one character and one SPECIAL CHARACTER!

Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »

P.I.M.A

This is exactly how my company is.  must be eight digits long, must have one number, one character and one SPECIAL CHARACTER!

as per last post

jan-2010 - feb-2010 :P

easy
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: