The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 24, 2024, 01:40:39 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Encrypted Virii  (Read 6438 times)
Exousia
« on: May 02, 2010, 03:42:34 AM »

I'm getting reports from several sources that encrypting virii does not prevent disinfect. I was under the impression that an encrypted virus could not be disinfected until after it was decrypted. As I don't encrypt my own virii, I have not had occasion to try this yet and was wondering what experiences others have had with this.
ivandrago
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 04:26:35 AM »

Encrypted files cannot be run or installed until decrypted. But encrypting an installed virus will not prevent it's getting disinfected.
Exousia
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:32:00 AM »

Encrypted files cannot be run or installed until decrypted. But encrypting an installed virus will not prevent it's getting disinfected.

So, why do people encrypt their installed virii? Is it because they believe that it will prevent disinfection? If so, where do they get this idea and is it an intended feature?
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 09:10:57 AM »

I think it has been a misunderstanding for a while.  I tried it myself last round just to see what would happen and then disinfected it myself.

I know it has been discussed before and the consensus was that encryption is useless  laugh.    I don't recall anywhere ever saying that encrypting virii should prevent it from being disinfected, I just think that was a natural assumption.

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »

an assumption makes an ass(out of)umption.

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
ivandrago
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »

Not entirely useless: I encrypt the virii on my own servers to make it much harder for someone to activate them when attacking me.
Encrypting can also be used to disable someone's files when attacking them, although that's getting pretty hard when the software goes up in size.
Exousia
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 03:29:35 PM »

Yes, I would think that an encryption attack would not be much good after a pretty early point in software development given how long it takes to encrypt a file.
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »

wel depending on the strength of the person disenfecting

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 04:21:04 AM »

I think you missed the point again  14
I think encrypted viruses should have to be decrypted, and with it up goes the mission reward, and encrypted files should not be able to be deleted, so at the start of rounds you can duplicate files and encrypt a copy to stop them being deleted  bodyguard

Exousia
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

I think you missed the point again  14
I think encrypted viruses should have to be decrypted, and with it up goes the mission reward, and encrypted files should not be able to be deleted, so at the start of rounds you can duplicate files and encrypt a copy to stop them being deleted  bodyguard

That does seem to be the theory but not the result.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »

Well thats how i think it should be, not how it is  10

Tartarus

What you think you know is wrong.

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 02:43:19 AM »

Might make things a bit more interesting if it DID work that way. Higher disinfect mission payouts would probably create more disinfectors and more decryptors as a result. As it is, decrypt is only good for S&D missions. Encrypt is only good for protecting unused virii stock, unless you are gold, in which case it has no real use.
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 11:20:30 AM »

Might make things a bit more interesting if it DID work that way. Higher disinfect mission payouts would probably create more disinfectors and more decryptors as a result. As it is, decrypt is only good for S&D missions. Encrypt is only good for protecting unused virii stock, unless you are gold, in which case it has no real use.

Eh, gold only gives you 20 gigs of storage (unless you buy more).  At this point in time I would need something like 150 gigs just to store all my crap.  It's good for keeping firewall & password protect stored easily.

What I end up doing when transferring to my other servers is deleting all files in gold server, copying files, deleting, copying...

Or I log into GTFO group and copy the files from there.  Makes it easier.

docslax

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »

LOL when i first started playing I was under the assumption that encrypting made it harder to disinfect until someone kindly sent me a note that it didn't matter and I was wasting resources :( When i see clean missions and the virus is encrpyted.. i LOL :P

Derailing and trolling forum posts since Sept 2009!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: