The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 25, 2024, 09:26:30 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Mission: Trace & Scan transfer  (Read 5644 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:29:40 AM »

We have another regular mission today. Newbies will enjoy training process tracer and IP scan skills on this one.

This mission is AP intensive, using a higher level Process Tracer will help reduce the AP used...

Reward is fixed, 5000 HPD for public version and 10000 HPD for secret server version.

1 mission / server

Secret server description is shorter. This is the public description:

We're investigating a recent unauthorized process started on one of our servers.
The intruder broke into our system and initiated a data transfer to steal information.
Objective: Run Trace on process #ID 409306 "Sending data transfer 1279016345", acquire IP and Scan IP.

It appears that the intruder changed IP so we are unable to trace him by the logs.
We need a skilled investigator to use a Process Tracer in order to get the IP out of the data transfer process. After the IP has been acquired, we need you to use an IP Scanner so we know more about who we're dealing with.

Software needed for mission: Process Tracer, IP Scanner
The version of the software affects you chances of successfully getting the IP.

To run a process trace on the target process, Connect or Bounce into the server with the foreign process. Access your gateway Files / Programs and locate the Process Tracer program. Click on Run Trace and select remotehost. Locate the process that needs to be traced, (process # 409306) and click on Start Trace. It may take several tries before locating the IP. You may want to start multiple tasks of process trace to get it done faster.

After locating the target IP, access your gateway Files / Programs and Scan the IP using your IP Scanner software. Enter the IP you found with the process tracer and click on Start scan. Wait for the scan to complete and get the reward.

Warning! Note: You need to find and scan this IP before the data transfer process is complete! If he manages to complete the process, we will lose track of him.

We will transfer the reward when you complete the objective.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:31:56 AM by siremi » Logged

Hatejacket
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »

Ouch, all that AP usage and no AP reward? Nice mission, but just like the last 3, I won't be doing them..
Ulurukangoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:00:36 PM »

I like the new missions you put in lately, game's improving a lot  5

*plan donation..*
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:37:27 PM »

acording to the rules they hold themselves to they cant say anything about that

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »

Thats the second one similar to my mission ideas added  5
And i thought nobody was reading that thread :')

Problem is as HJ indicated, decrypts will always be more profitable  atention
After reading it a bit more i think the scanning is a bit excessive, tracing the IP is pain enough in itself, maybe trace IP for half the reward, then get the other half if you scan it  bodyguard

It could reward some AP at least else i simply don't think it'll be worth doing at this stage in the game... But maybe early in a round it could prove valuable
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:18:44 PM by ãłþħά-∆9 » Logged

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »

It could reward some AP at least else i simply don't think it'll be worth doing at this stage in the game... But maybe early in a round it could prove valuable

The primary function of this mission is to instruct new players on using the Process Tracer and IP Scanner  17

I've decided to move the helper into the mission description rather then present the new player with all that info that he has to read. It's much easier if they do something like a mission to learn how the game works. And they will try the mission at least once to see what it does. Trying the mission will make them know how to use the PT and IP Scan. That's the idea.

One of the primary objectives of "Follow the trail" was to train the new player to find then IP in a bounce chain.

So after the new players gets out of the public server network and into the secret network, he will know who to install a vir, trace a log, process trace and scan IP.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:43:51 PM by siremi » Logged

Hatejacket
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »

^ Which in itself is great. I'm not knocking the mission, just the reward :P
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »

^ Which in itself is great. I'm not knocking the mission, just the reward :P
too nooby?

i win
you lose
get over it