The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 06:43:32 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: .ETC  (Read 19826 times)
Exousia
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »

Admittedly, I haven't used it since that class.  laugh

However, it is the foundation of the internet.  shifty
nolkillerklowns

Nol_Killer_klowns@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »

well some what... the internet, i do believe, started on ibm machines. well before linux came around and unix/sun was just getting started.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:07 AM »

The internet is not a big truck okay, it's not something you can just dump something on, it's a series of tubes

Thraxian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »

Behold!  The Internet!

And I believe you CAN dump things on it.  However, heavier items might crush the internet.
Exousia
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 11:22:43 PM »

In all truth, the internet is based on the hardware because the operating systems are all designed to talk to one another independent of their origin. The Linux being "the foundation of the internet" claim was just for lolz since the internet was technically birthed in the form of several Cold War military computers as a method of preventing the whole network from being taken out when the bombs started flying, so it kind of pre-dates even Linux and UNIX as far as I can remember from class/etc.
nolkillerklowns

Nol_Killer_klowns@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 03:52:18 AM »

right, and the first technical "OS" was IBM's platform. which predates almost everything. again i think. because IBM's system could really do nothing more than read/write to floppy's  and some mathematical equations.

Edit: just looked it as i was curious, partially correct. the generally considered "first OS" belonged to general motors. they designed it for a IBM 701.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:55:54 AM by nolkillerklowns » Logged
Exousia
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 08:20:49 AM »

Yeah, that sounds right. IBM was hardware almost exclusively. There's as much myth and legend surrounding the origin of computers and networking as fact.  laugh
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 10:24:15 AM »

The first example of internet communication was threading string through two cans

GlitchH4xor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

The first example of internet communication was threading string through two cans

No the first example of internet communication is the first human language. Using the same set of words and letters to communicate like on the internet using the same protocols and servers to communicate.

The level of tyranny that you will live under is the level of tyranny that you will tolerate.
Thraxian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 12:25:30 PM »

Every definition of "internet" I can find has the word "computer" in it, so I don't think the human language qualifies as an "internet".

The only exception to my definition search is some website from the University of Wisconsin which defines internet as "a network of networks", but then doesn't bother to define "network".  That's like me defining "internet" as "a thurmomdapoplatic pronathalic of gretchindaflication".  (note that this definition is now on the internet, so it therefore must be true.)
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »

In the World Wide Web, Spiderman is king.

GlitchH4xor

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 02:58:54 PM »

Every definition of "internet" I can find has the word "computer" in it, so I don't think the human language qualifies as an "internet".

The only exception to my definition search is some website from the University of Wisconsin which defines internet as "a network of networks", but then doesn't bother to define "network".  That's like me defining "internet" as "a thurmomdapoplatic pronathalic of gretchindaflication".  (note that this definition is now on the internet, so it therefore must be true.)

The internet is just a network of humans using computers to communicate with each other. But if humans do the same thing minus the computer part it is close enough for government work.

The level of tyranny that you will live under is the level of tyranny that you will tolerate.
Thraxian

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »

In the World Wide Web, Spiderman is king.

I once found Chuck Norris on the internet.  I believe that he was keeping it down after delivering a roundhouse kick.
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 09:11:48 PM »

The internet is just a network of humans using computers to communicate with each other. But if humans do the same thing minus the computer part it is close enough for government work.

the Ethernet is the connection between computers, the internet is the mass connection of computers through the large hubs that actually contain most of the data(words, videos, pictures, codes, et cetera) that we view daily, as well as that which we don't and that which we can not view without some extra tools.

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Exousia
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »

Ethernet is just one of many networking structures. Just because it's the most common (in our homes), doesn't make it the sole type of connection between two computers and therefore a word that can be used in that context and given that definition.

The word you're looking for is "intranet." Notice the subtle difference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: