The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 07:14:22 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Server overloads and virus resource usage  (Read 8191 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:29:23 AM »

I've been monitoring the usage of the new Remote Virus Injector software.

The RVI enables you to upload a virus into a server while using a small fraction of the bandwidth needed.

If the virus was started to be injected using the RVI and then researched to a higher version, completing the injection process will bring the new version into the system, however the resource requirements will now update properly to reflect this.

I am also introducing a new feature that will improve PvP and prepare the grounds for the PvP updates.

The new feature is an update to the kernel of the servers:

- virii will react to version change and environment (server resources) change
- installed virii will update its resource usage every hour depending on the virii version
- if a server is hit by a logic bomb, virii will lose version and will consume less resources
- if a virus is injected into a system and it overloads that system, programs that depend on resources will begin to fail
- there is a chance that every hour a program may fail, depending on the overload usage of a server. Protected readonly files like the unlisted servers default protection programs are not affected. Public servers are not affected.
- if a virii on the overloaded server crashes, it will self-destruct
- any program that uses the overloaded resources can fail and crash
- there is a chance for crash each hour, and the more overloaded the system, the greater the chance
- only programs and task using 1 cpu/mem/band can crash. Those using 0-0.9 will not be affected. If a server is overloaded at 110% CPU, only the programs that use 1 or more CPU can be affected. Same for mem and band.
- if any program crashes due to overload, a kernel entry will be added to the log of the server

What does this mean for PvP? Well, it means you can hit a server with overload bombs or Revelation and if you hit it hard enough, you'll be able to cripple the "Running Software" tasks, including the protection or installed virii on the system.

The crash is only for "Running Software" at the moment, however we will include the HDD failure where if the HDD is overloaded, files may be lost, that's for an update in a few days.

Once again, the public servers are not affected by this feature, only player gateways, secret / unlisted servers.

God Speed!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:37:55 AM by siremi » Logged

Hatejacket
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:57:38 AM »

Woohoo!

Everyone say goodbye to GoS!  13
norill

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »

its viruses, not virii

Hatejacket
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:23:02 AM »

its viruses, not virii

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/virii

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Virii

http://www.allwords.com/word-virii.html

*cough* Shut the hell up about it already

norill

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:38:18 AM »

english sucks

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »

Woo more power to malware as if they aren't overpowered enough  14

I understand the RVI fix because yes that was basically a bug.
The way it has been is hope like hell someone doesn't malware you, but take solice in the fact your barons will be okay unless someone disinfects them, which is fine, as being malwareed already can do millions of HPD worth of damage in 1 hour, after weeks of missioning and working hard to get that income.

And it's not like you can keep your baron servers secret as each time you collect it posts a mission on them. So let me make a prediction
Baron servers will be targetted and nuked,
All income and server hardware will be destroyed beyond repair,
People will stop playing.
Like hell are we going to start again from 0 income and default stats after all this hard work clawing our way up doing thousands and thousands of missions, for it to be taken away in the course of 1 or 2 hours, because someone simply doesn't like a group member, despite us doing nothing aggressive, and that person saying they wanted a 'productive round'

kernel [localhost], activate virii file #147527 Basic Robber Baron Virus V 0.970374 [Kernel] crashed due to system overload.

You have GOT to be nutsting me. I was doing solid decrypts for days just to overload that much AP, then it jsut disappears without any warning? I would have just put the d**n hardware on it if this didn't all happen overnight. -_-

1 day I had that installed, 1 d**n day. What a waste of time AP and effort.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:49:41 AM by ãłþħά-∆9 » Logged

Hatejacket
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:05:47 AM »

I would suggest that barons no longer spawn anti-hacker missions as frequently. Maybe they can only spawn once per day?
termul

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 12:35:14 PM »

This update makes sense, overloading hardware without any consequence is unrealistic.

But Alpha has a point also, this update makes remote malware even more overpowered as it already is.

I wish I had yet figured out a suggestion to balance things out  21

Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 01:44:33 PM »

Yeah I know a balance...as has happened many times during a round...Let's not introduce major changes or modifications that will drastically alter the play of the game. If something like this needs to be overhauled..thats fine..make the preperations for this change but don't institute them until the next round....Everyone has the same ability to perform the current abuse to this program and the game remains the same for all....Now that you make a major change like this it changes the entire way in which someone who has played the game a certain way to make a major change.....It's not fair and should be repealed until the next round or at least near the end of this round so as not to drastically alter the gameplay currently in place(once there's about 6-7 rev's up and running would be a fair indication of the end).

I do agree also with the fact that the mission spawns on Barons should be drastically limited if not removed all together...at this point it's almost impossible to disinfect a decent sized baron unless someone just drops out of the game. Maybe retweak the IP Leach program to make it a baron hunting program....have it search across a certain factions intranet structure and specifically seek Baron Virii(yes i spelt it this way..you don't like it you can lick my balls).  That way it makes it not impossible to find a Baron but then again the location of it doesn't just fall into someones lap by checking the daily faction missions.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 01:51:38 PM »

I'm open to suggestions, however I want hardcore PvP, that's what the game should be about.

Hacker wars, destroyed hardware, fighting to get to the top. I think we should make it so when someone reached 250 million power that the Revelation Day automatically starts by installing a Reveletaion every day until it goes off, that about 10 days after someone gets to 250 million power that Revelation starts. This will keep things interesting and will give players a goal to reach that power and get the prize. Will also increase the competition.

I think we can all agree if we drag the round too much it gets boring, but if we add more PvP features and a goal for the players, things start to get interesting.

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 02:52:36 PM »

great update

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Hatejacket
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 04:27:16 PM »

I'm open to suggestions, however I want hardcore PvP, that's what the game should be about.

Hacker wars, destroyed hardware, fighting to get to the top. I think we should make it so when someone reached 250 million power that the Revelation Day automatically starts by installing a Reveletaion every day until it goes off, that about 10 days after someone gets to 250 million power that Revelation starts. This will keep things interesting and will give players a goal to reach that power and get the prize. Will also increase the competition.

I think we can all agree if we drag the round too much it gets boring, but if we add more PvP features and a goal for the players, things start to get interesting.

+1

Emi wants HC PVP? Let's make a thread and brainstorm it for a week.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 05:36:50 PM »

K lol. I agree with Gin, major changes shouldn't be put into play until the beginning of new rounds. This is the second out of 3 rounds i've played wher esomething big anew somes out right in the middle, that changes the whole course of the round, along with alienating people who have jsut got it.

But if you want major PVP then yeah, let's brain storm away.

For a start we need to define PVP, because it's an easy buzz phrase to use.

So types of PVP:
Malicious: Destroying each others hardware/software seems to be the biggie, and the way to do that is malware and Revelation virus. Any way we can expand on this or change it at all? Or are we happy with our 1 or 2 hour malware tasks that can take down an entire server if launched from enough places.
The thing is with this new upddate I can see it coming, you will get malwared overnight and the HDD will henceforth become overloaded (making logic bombs useless compared to overload) then you log in in the morning and you find your files have all destroyed themselves and you ar eback to basics unless you have a backup. If this is the case, this should be a slow process, that forces you to do missions/gain HPD to bring your HDD back up in time, not the sort of thing where you go to sleep and wake up with nothing.

Competetive: Fighting for missions seems to happen a lot, be it faction or otherwise (delete files are only used for newbies and early in the round)
It's easy for a single group to control all 4 factions, there was an idea for special missions that have a higher reward and get messaged to your inbox from the faction which was pretty good. Maybe faction versus faction is a good thing to implement, it seems like you want it to be this way (damage a faction and the faction sends hackers out to get you) but it isn't really working like that. A method to have you find a rival faction hackers gateway could be some sort of "bounce-back process" which forces their gateway to send a stealth process to a server, which you can process trace to find a player. Rather than here's the IP go do what you want.

File Stealing: Download lucractive files/research projects from other players, could this be maybe made in to a anti-hacker type steal research file mission? (Ie. steal this file [by file ID not by giving out the gateway IP] and upload to our unlisted server to receive a reward)

Group versus Group
Groups have rivalries naturally, but there's nothing really in the game that promotes or rewards this. Someone mentioned the group leader being able to create missions, but it seemed complicated and abuseable. A start would be to show group members servers in a different colour or with the group tag at the start of them. As it is now most pro groups will set up their own forum in order to share sevrer names, to prevent confusion with using the group sevrer etc.

Well there's a few points. Didn't want to tl'dr it.  21
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:39:14 PM by ãłþħά-∆9 » Logged

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »

While I agree that the Baron Injects were being abused.  I don't think the barons earned properly should be so easy to destroy...

A couple of suggestions:

1) Virus is not lost, but is either deactivated (i.e. not earning any income) or earn a pro-rated amount based upon the amount of server hardware available.  Pro-ration could be heavily lopsided (i.e. only have 90% of the hardware you only earn 60% of the income and so forth).

2)  Or, reduce the costs associated with installing virii (both AP and hardware requirements).  One of the problems I see right now is that income is hard to come by.  A dedicated attack on someone can cripple them too easily.  Months of work gone and nearly impossible to come back.

3)  Or just remove virii income.  Make Missions much higher gain in HPD.

I agree with the whole Hard-core PVP, but after being devastated I would like to have the ability to come back and proceed with the game.

Scores should NOT be POWER based but PVP based.  Damage done should be your gauge if you want to encourage PVP.  As it is, we can sit on our butts and just grind away with no thought about PVP and win this game.

Make the game less about grinding 24x7 and more about PVP.

Earn money by attacking players.
Earn money by destroying their software (software deletes, encrypts, etc...  MUCH faster DELETES, Much faster ENCRYPTS needed).
Earn money by destroying their hardware.

For each 1,000 HPD earned by PVP you earn 1 POWER.  Power no longer earned based upon  software level or hardware level...

Just my thought...  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:27:25 PM by Brok Ironfist » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: