The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 07:23:48 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: some AP cost changes  (Read 19277 times)
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »

Definitely agree with Crlaozwyn... as well, with a shifting scale set up, that means that the older players will have their charts telling exactly which level gives the best results... whether that happens to be a fileshare or adware, and which version gives the best tradeoff (or if it just keeps getting better as the level raises). As such, these changes disadvantage newbies way more than those of us who have the more complex Excel and other information telling us how to play. ;)

I agree that something has to happen to make this more balanced. AP and other artificial limiters like it tend to harm newbies more than the established players though, which isn't the intent, I believe...
XRay

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 04:54:55 PM »

AP and other artificial limiters like it tend to harm newbies more than the established players though, which isn't the intent, I believe...

I don't think the current AP system limits newbies at all. There's no way for them to spend 1440 AP on a single day with their inferior hardware. The only ones who need to adjust are the players who can run 50 processes at once and upload dozens of virii per day.
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 05:04:12 PM »

I'm new(er), and even though I've been uploading tons of viruses and doing tons of missions every day and I have yet to drop my AP below 2800...

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »

i'm a slightly older player (only in the top 50 tho  10) and i BURN AP, i only crack people, cap virii, and hide stuff too make room for virii i might install later............ i really don't do any uploading

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
HJ®
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »

i'm a slightly older player (only in the top 50 tho  10) and i BURN AP, i only crack people, cap virii, and hide stuff too make room for virii i might install later............ i really don't do any uploading

Cap Virii, eh?

Nos respect: -5
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »

??? i have too! and most of my virii is basic stuff, or stuff i cap of private servers!

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »

Still not happy with AP, but who cares what I think right?

One change does NEED to be made though: when a sniffer daemon is used to reset a server password, there needs to be an AP cost associated with it.
HJ®
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 09:40:50 PM »

Still not happy with AP, but who cares what I think right?

One change does NEED to be made though: when a sniffer daemon is used to reset a server password, there needs to be an AP cost associated with it.

Truth.

/signed
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »

Another thing... what are higher players supposed to do with their money? There's no point upgrading bandwidth because we're limited in how much we can upload. There's no point upgrading CPU/MEM past a certain point, because we're limited in our research... What should I do? Buy 12 servers? Or is this a subtle suggestion that after you reach a certain point in the game, there's nothing left to do and you should just quit?
HJ®
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 10:01:51 PM »

How are we limited in research, crl?
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 10:06:13 PM »

By limiting the research processes we can run at once (since each one costs ap), it doesn't make sense to boost specs past a certain point. I know I'm nowhere near soviet, but I've got >85GHz CPU + 4 gigs of memory. I just want to know what to do with all that cash now... Maybe eventually when all software is v20+ I'll need to upgrade again, but until then there's nothing to do - except run disinfects on all of my own virii for the ridiculously cheap money, of course.
HJ®
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »

But you aren't limited in how many you can run at once, only how many you can complete at once. Plan your research at the correct intervals and you should be fine. It doesn't limit how many research processes you can have running at once, just when you can complete them.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:28 PM »

yeah, stop planting viruses for one day and save for research maybe?

Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 10:33:33 PM »

Good call - I'll play half the game at a time 1 Wish I'd thought of that.

ADD:
Sorry I'm frustrated - I just think the game shouldn't slow down the farther into it you get. What about having separate AP for different gateways or something? As it is, after you reach a certain point it's just a matter of time until you run out of AP and just sit there looking stupid.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:45:34 PM by Crlaozwyn » Logged
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 01:56:10 AM »

Yeah stop planting virii when you can only install a small fraction of what can be disinfected.

By the previous numbers.

162 AP to install 1 File-share .4
20 AP to disinfect said File-Share

So lets figure it out shall we?
1440 APs / day
1440 / 162 = 8
8 Virii * .2 = 1.6 rounded up to 2

8 virii - 2 virii = 6
6 * 162 = 972

To disinfect 6
6 * 20 = 120

So you just lost 972 AP to get 2 virii installed.  And that is if people ONLY disinfect the ones there are missions for.

972 AP = 32 Research Projects
972 AP = 64 cracked admins
972 AP = 3 IP changes

Do I need to say anything more?

I understand you want to limit our growth Sir Emi.  Heck before you brought out the AP system I was already doing that for the Top 6.  Now guess what.   I am taking the leash off of the Top 6.   Go to town SGP.   No holds barred.   People think we control this game well lets show them what we can do and how impossible it will be to even come close to us.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to: