The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 05:24:32 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Stats for leaving newbie protection?  (Read 3688 times)
Swisher

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2008, 08:40:53 PM »

So I just started this game 2 days ago, my current server is 1050mhz CPU, 74mb RAM, 9kb/s bandwidth(capped myself to stay in newbie protection). What would you guys recommend as minimum security for a server just leaving newbie? I have access to a v1.01 firewall protect and password protect, is this good enough to leave newbie mode with? While I've capped myself, I have stacked 6,500HPD, so i can upgrade my server to run both of them. I just dont know whats good enough defense to leave newbie  confused2
neo alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 08:42:18 PM »

The best defense ever = GOLD FTP ;)

Add
to MSN
Moen Co.

F5!

ragewithmycheese
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »

So I just started this game 2 days ago, my current server is 1050mhz CPU, 74mb RAM, 9kb/s bandwidth(capped myself to stay in newbie protection). What would you guys recommend as minimum security for a server just leaving newbie? I have access to a v1.01 firewall protect and password protect, is this good enough to leave newbie mode with? While I've capped myself, I have stacked 6,500HPD, so i can upgrade my server to run both of them. I just dont know whats good enough defense to leave newbie  confused2

Your defenses would be fine to deter the casual passerby checking a careless log entry, but in general as long as you don't mess with the wrong people your server will stay pretty safe. v1 software is plenty defense for you.

Retired. Best Finish: #4 (Should've been #3)
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:57:29 PM »

As long as you don't piss anyone off, newbie protection isn't worth much. Every time I've been seriously hacked, it's been becasue I pissed someone off. Also, when I hack people, I usually just look around, maybe mess a little; but unless I have a reason or it's an inactive server, I don't do anything.

The one time I've gone into a server with an intent to cause trouble was once (right before Hatejacket took me out this last time; unrelated) to take out someone's Virus Capture on a File Share that I was Capping already.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Swisher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:48:03 AM »

ok, thx for the info guys
RaiseCain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:53:35 AM »

You should invest in a high log deleter, as it is the first line of defense. Use as much proxies as you can and delete/modifie all the logs you leave behind. Defenses are only nessecary if you lack a log deleter.

The battles of the skilled are without extraordinary victory, without reputation for wisdom and without merit for courage.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: