The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 12, 2024, 05:22:23 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: research suggestion  (Read 11460 times)
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »

maybe version x.x/y.y where x numbers correspond to version and y is efficiency?

So all files right now would be x.x/1

When you upgrade, the number to the side reflects what percentage of the normal resources it will take, so x.x/.95 uses 95% resources, x.x/.8 uses 80%, and so on.

You could obviously cap how low the file efficiency would go, as shown in this round even with diminishing returns file versions are still getting pretty ridiculous pretty easily and we don't want any 1% resource requirement files out there.

I am thinking maybe .0001 per research level for efficiency, with diminishing returns at certain benchmarks.  With that, it would take 1000 hours of research to get a 90% resource usage file.  Or, .00001 per research which means 1000 hours of research (not really that much right now for bigger players) would get you a 1% reduction.

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »

I am thinking maybe .0001 per research level for efficiency, with diminishing returns at certain benchmarks.  With that, it would take 1000 hours of research to get a 90% resource usage file.  Or, .00001 per research which means 1000 hours of research (not really that much right now for bigger players) would get you a 1% reduction.

uhhhhh what? thats like not doing it at all

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Sin15698

Only those you trust can betray you.

sin1598@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »

No, I thought those numbers were very good...

It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 02:57:38 PM »

Bontrose, I don't think you realize how powerful a reduction in resources is, that means you can research more concurrently as well as run, so you can research faster too.

Top level players are doing stacks of hundreds and hundreds of thousands of hour researches, if anything it should be less of a bonus than that per hour.

Why do you think file versions only go up by .001 per hour now rather than .006?

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 04:36:14 PM »

ok then just say it simple stupid
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:05:51 AM by bontrose » Logged

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
death 2 all

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »

lol i agree my figures were 2 high :S

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 08:46:54 AM »

You know, if I ever find your server in game some fun is going to ensue because I find you to be quite annoying.  Kind of like jimmi33... except dumber... and that's a pretty big feat.  Unfortunately you don't have friends like HJ to back you up.

Do you even play the game?

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »

a. i have connections i call on
b. yeah pm me ingame(same name)

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »

Uh huh.  Well until you have something to actually contribute (which, from your adolescent grammar and spelling I think it might be a while) you can let the grown ups have some time to talk about the game without your interruptions.

jimmi33

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 10:19:33 AM »

You know, if I ever find your server in game some fun is going to ensue because I find you to be quite annoying.  Kind of like jimmi33... except dumber... and that's a pretty big feat.  Unfortunately you don't have friends like HJ to back you up.

Do you even play the game?

I just had to tell how much i laguhed at you ^^ and then again be happy about i don't waste more time on this game ^^ It got the worst developer i ever seen and the community seems to be rather wierd ^^ (yes i know im a part of it but i atleast admit im wierd)
death 2 all

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 11:12:20 AM »

getting a bit off topic arent we?

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 03:36:14 PM »

we always do :D

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »

Ok all are welcome to comment except for Bontrose.  He reminds me of some players who were suppose to have quit.

If we do the efficiency route then it should be broken down more.  Also the current research still allows for research to be to fast imo.
I say research should be broken down into the following categories.
Version
CPU Usage
Memory Usage
BW Usage
HDD Usage
Install Time

I purposely left out "run time" as I agree with Titam that the "run times" should stay the way they are to prevent the "big boys" from gaining to much an edge.

Now obviously with the extra categories the power rank formula will have to be tweaked to take it into consideration.

As for the increase per hour of research, I think the formula should be revised once again.   Start the first hour at .006000 but then drop it by .000001 per hour there after with a cap being .000001.   That will speed up some of the earlier research yes but it would greatly slow down the upper research considerably.

By doing this for each category it will allow us more to do with regards to the research and open up something I have been thinking of suggesting for sometime now with regards to missions.

Again to stress, any replies by Bontrose that were not thought out to begin with will be considered useless and treated as such.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »

Hmm, ok, i think this is worth thinking over, and it's not a bad idea (well thought) ... however if anything between those lines is implemented, let's not forget:

- software on secret servers are increasing too fast for that (research would be again useless as software on secrets would be faster)
- the price at dealer should be even more increased as it is now - it is still to easy to buy software that someone researched for two or more months ... Or that person should be payed (%?) when software is bought at the dealer. If the dealer is meant to be hacker who stolen that software - well, some software can't be stolen (if there is no BW on research server for example).
- delete times on own servers should be even more decreased (now 10% of time) or capped - so you can delete your older researched software faster if you don't want it stolen.
- it is unrealistic for server to overload. If you research now and complete more research tasks at once, you can massively overload your server.

That's what i could think of right now 1

lpJ.
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »

Ok all are welcome to comment except for Bontrose.  He reminds me of some players who were suppose to have quit.

If we do the efficiency route then it should be broken down more.  Also the current research still allows for research to be to fast imo.
I say research should be broken down into the following categories.
Version
CPU Usage
Memory Usage
BW Usage
HDD Usage
Install Time

I purposely left out "run time" as I agree with Titam that the "run times" should stay the way they are to prevent the "big boys" from gaining to much an edge.

Now obviously with the extra categories the power rank formula will have to be tweaked to take it into consideration.

As for the increase per hour of research, I think the formula should be revised once again.   Start the first hour at .006000 but then drop it by .000001 per hour there after with a cap being .000001.   That will speed up some of the earlier research yes but it would greatly slow down the upper research considerably.

By doing this for each category it will allow us more to do with regards to the research and open up something I have been thinking of suggesting for sometime now with regards to missions.

Again to stress, any replies by Bontrose that were not thought out to begin with will be considered useless and treated as such.

And the nice thing is that when you hit that .000001 mark, getting a software version boost from faction ranking (as Emi has suggested will happen) will be awesome and encourage more people to side with a faction.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: