The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 09:47:22 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Delete Servers  (Read 9323 times)
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »

If they would do an instant IP change just install a sniffer before selling it and after that youd be able to use a breaker to get your virii back.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Exousia
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 02:03:29 PM »

I've never had a sniffer maintain contact after an IP change. Could this be a bug?
Tiak

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »

I've sort of been ignoring this until now...  But if one deleted a virii farm, their power would go down, not up...  Viruses installed don't affect your power at all...  The hardware increases your power.  Losing the hardware would lower your power...

Also:
-VBs take a while to work, and if you can track through IP changes, you are abusing a bug...  So basically everybody would have an equal chance to VB.
-Upon converting to an NPC server, 3/4 of the virii on the server would generate missions...  This is the part, if any, that would be abusable...  The massive amount of cash one can suddenly make available through disinfect missions.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:57:15 PM by Tiak » Logged
Exousia
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:18 PM »

That's what I'm saying, Tiak. I was also under the impression that virii installed on other servers (non-owned) increase power rating, therefore, converting a private virii farm to an NPC server farm would effect power rating. I neglected to take into account, however, that the hardware factor to power rating would probably match if not exceed any power rating bonus due to installed virii. There also shouldn't be a way to track a server through IP change.

A deleted server which converted to an NPC server probably could generate a disinfect mission, but that would also depend on who it went to. I was assuming that it did not go to any of the four factions, but that may have been a bit naive and misleading--but that would preclude any possibility of generating disinfect missions and pretty well leave the server in limbo waiting for someone to purchase its IP. Deleted servers, therefore, should probably just vanish into the ether never to return.

As there are plenty of uses for unwanted servers, especially as private virii farms, this is not a critical issue, but it's fun to explore things, isn't it?  16
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: