The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 04:25:39 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: End of Round question  (Read 16925 times)
Araeus

View Profile Email
« on: November 11, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »

So, I know that everyone's gold status is going to carry over to the next round, but what about the bonus HPD we got at sign-up?  This seems to put older gold members at a disadvantage, as anyone who signs up for gold in the next round will get that bonus HPD making them automatically stronger than an old gold member (assuming right at the start someone signs up for gold).  I don't care if they are "less experienced" that will not balance it out, and gold membership is no measure of a person's experience in the game.

So how is that going to work out, are all current gold members going to start out with extra HPD at the beginning of the round?  The higher AP limit, as well, is not going to help at the start of the new round either... we will all be hard-pressed to spend AP.

Just wondering, with the end coming closer and closer.

Seb

I never sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »

I was also aware of this, I wonder why I didn't ask.
Same question SirEmi!
Exousia
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »

Granted I'm not Emi, but I believe from what I understood the specs to be saying is that the HPD would not be carried over but the AP cap would along with the secure FTP server. I may be wrong about the HPD and I sincerely hope that I am and that Gold members would receive an HPD boost to move them along as one of the perks. This will make the sting of a reset much less bitter to my pallet, but it would also make it more likely that Gold members will bring about a reset merely for the cash reward as they will stand to lose less in the reset. They'd still lose a considerable amount no doubt, but they'd have a leg up compared to everyone else. AP would be much less important in the beginning of the game as there would be few, if any, tasks which would gobble up a significant quantity of it. It could be argued that it would limit delete missions, but with how many people will be doing them, I find that an unlikely limiting factor.
gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:05:21 PM »

I wish that everything I put in my secure ftp comes with me in the new round.....

also, deleting files does not take up ap.... so having 2k more ap than someone else would only mean that you can crack more servers, and since in the beginning thre are only like 20 or so servers you can crack, that extra 2k does not help any at all.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:07:01 PM by gs 059 » Logged

Sin15698

Only those you trust can betray you.

sin1598@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »

Okay, I've played other games of his and this is how it works:

The amount you get for upgrading or donating increases as the overall or average power of players increases.
Since it would be a new round the average power will be very low so you will get alot less for upgrading or donating.
Near the end of the round the average is much higher so you get alot more.

The bonus is not reacurring as I understand it so you wouldn't get money at the start of the round.

On a slightly different note, if this game becomes as popular as spaceo he might make a Hacker-project wars sever 16 [which would have no rounds]

It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Exousia
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:09:43 PM »

I'll skip over the patronizing parts and ask: What exactly are the criteria for a wars server?
Sin15698

sin1598@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:14:20 PM »

Well his wars sever dosen't have rounds but it has a few changes to make it move along slower. Other than that it is pretty much the exact same game.

Exousia
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:18:05 PM »

Well his wars sever dosen't have rounds but it has a few changes to make it move along slower. Other than that it is pretty much the exact same game.

Very nice. It's what I've been hoping for personally. I think I mentioned it in other threads but people were too busy trying to bully Emi rather than appeal to him. You're probably reading my other post in the General area by now, but what I said there stands: I'd like to explore this possibility more.
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »

The amount you get for upgrading or donating increases as the overall or average power of players increases.
Since it would be a new round the average power will be very low so you will get alot less for upgrading or donating.

The bonus is not reacurring as I understand it so you wouldn't get money at the start of the round.

On a slightly different note, if this game becomes as popular as spaceo he might make a Hacker-project wars sever 16 [which would have no rounds]

The problem is, someone who gets gold at the beginning of the next round would still receive some sort of HPD bonus, which is better than nothing.  When I got my gold the HPD payout was like... 500 HPD per dollar donated.  I am not complaining about this increase because at the time I started people were ecstatic to find .62 secret servers because that made you essentially unhackable to all except top 10.  Obviously, power has come up a lot since then.  Still, that however much bonus HPD with the gold donation would be extremely useful at the start of the round.  If gold members receive no benefits at the start of a new round other than increased AP cap (useless) or gold FTP (which will be amazing as files will be a lot smaller with all the changes, but still) then I see that as a bit of a slight.

Exousia
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:31:32 PM »

I'm 99.99% sure Emi explicitly states that the Gold FTP server is something you keep and I'm almost as certain that the AP cap is as well. The only debate in my mind is the HPD bonus, which isn't mentioned anywhere as far as I can remember. I guess it's time to hit the books.  19
Sin15698

sin1598@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »

I don't know about the FTP but you do keep turns and 20 node connections.

The problem is, someone who gets gold at the beginning of the next round would still receive some sort of HPD bonus, which is better than nothing.  When I got my gold the HPD payout was like... 500 HPD per dollar donated.  I am not complaining about this increase because at the time I started people were ecstatic to find .62 secret servers because that made you essentially unhackable to all except top 10.  Obviously, power has come up a lot since then.  Still, that however much bonus HPD with the gold donation would be extremely useful at the start of the round.  If gold members receive no benefits at the start of a new round other than increased AP cap (useless) or gold FTP (which will be amazing as files will be a lot smaller with all the changes, but still) then I see that as a bit of a slight.

Yes but if you ran a game and someone paid you $20 I think they should get some what of a step-up. The amount though is disputable.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:50:49 PM by Sin15698 » Logged

Thek3mp
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »

everything is kept apart from the hpd, its non recurring. just like your membership, if you want the hpd, subscribe for another year
Exousia
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 01:19:37 AM »

Thank you for reiterating what I said.  16
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 02:55:01 AM »

everything is kept apart from the hpd, its non recurring. just like your membership, if you want the hpd, subscribe for another year

That is what I am assuming, and what I think should happen is slightly different.

"everything is kept apart from the hpd, its non recurring. just like your membership, if you want the hpd, subscribe for another year because those people who sign up at the beginning of the next round will be getting HPD, so you should get some too so as not to "penalize" those who bought their gold memberships in this round before the game became round based

Exousia
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 03:07:38 AM »

I would think that to be much more equitable, even if it is at a deflated rate.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: