The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 05:40:16 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Servers and Software (Long Post)  (Read 8839 times)
Zyzzyx

View Profile Email
« on: June 28, 2008, 05:02:55 PM »

So I had an idea that might make players servers and server upgrading/implementation more fun.  It revolves around specialty servers: servers that serve a certain purpose well but are unable to do certain things (balancing).  I also came up with some software that would make protecting your server easier.  Other random thoughts are included.  This is kind of tedious, so put on your reading glasses.

####################
First off: servers.  I thought it would be nice to add a server specialization feature that allowed players to buy more than one type of server.  Some could be more or less expensive than the standard server, and there would probably need to be limits on some.

Standard Server - The current server we as players can buy.  Contains all the normal functions of your gateway serv.

Backup Server - A specialization of the standard serv that would end up happening anyway.  Players may use these servers to backup their programs.  Has a higher starting HDD and Bandwidth, however, players cannot use these servers to bounce and programs besides virii and AV may not be run.  Only HDD and Bandwidth may be upgraded.

Proxy/Bounce Server - Another specialization of the standard serv that was indended.  This server has a very low stats all-around and cannot be upgraded.  It has just enough CPU and RAM to run mid-range protections and is intended for the sole purpose of a bounce platform.

Security Server - A server based on some new software I came up with.  Players may not use these servers as proxy connections and they may only run 2 types of software (besides virii and AV): Remote Firewall Protect and Remote Password Protect.  More on those later.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Now for software.  A lot of these are to help protect lower level players as well as balance some problems with trackback for higher level players.  Here we go.

Dedicated Firewall Protect/Dedicated Password Protect -
CPU load - high
HDD space - moderate
RAM load - high
localhost must close all outgoing connections (downloads, IP connections, remote deletions/hides/etc) and may not open new outgoing connections while either of these programs are running.  Adds a x2 difficulty modifier to hacking the server.  For example, it would take a password break V 0.2 to crack a dedicated password protect V 0.1.  Overrides a standard firewall protect or password protect if difficulty is greater.

Remote Firewall Protect/Remote Password Protect -
CPU load - high
HDD space - high
RAM load - moderate (x2 servs)
Bandwidth load - moderate
Software must be run both on a security serv and a standard server simultaneously.  Adds a x2 difficulty modifier to hacking the standard server.  No bonus to the security server.  Overrides a standard firewall protect or password protect if difficulty is greater.

Log Purge -
CPU load - moderate
HDD space - moderate
RAM load - moderate
Allows a user to permanently purge a log from a server.  The log no longer shows up in the list of logs on a server.  Takes 20 minutes to complete purge.

IP Scrambler -
CPU load - low
HDD space - moderate
RAM load - moderate
When a player running this program, it automatically edits logs created by the player when he/she bounces or logs onto a server.  IP Scrambler will change a log and treat the change like a Log Deleter of the same version.  Ex: admin logged in from [$#r-%!*-BY^-##].

Overclocker
CPU load- high
HDD space - moderate
RAM load - high
Increases maximum CPU and RAM by a small percentage.  Requires a high CPU and RAM to begin with otherwise the program drains more than it gives.  A player may only run 1 overclocker at a time on a server.

Data Collector [virii] -
Steals a small amount of HPD (< .25 HPD) from a player whenever he/she creates a log on the installed server.

Bulletin Mod [virii] -
Setals a small percentage of HPD from a player when he/she collects mission HPD if virus is on the origin server (the server from which the mission was given).

Packet Thief [virii] -
Steals a small amount of HPD/hour while a player is downloading from the origin server.

Malware Anti-Virus Bomb [virii] -
Similar to Malware Logic Bomb except only targets Anti-Virus software.

Process Lock -
CPU load - moderate
HDD space - low
RAM load - low
Locks in all current timed processes (processes that end after the set amount of time).  Cannot be killed until all timed processes are finished.

Process UnLock
CPU load - moderate
HDD space- moderate
RAM load - moderate
Ends a Process Lock of lower version than the Process UnLock.

Bandwidth Seller -
CPU load - none
HDD space - low
RAM load - none
Bandwidth load - see below
Uses bandwidth = to 1 download to slowly generate HPD.  Ex: I have 1 download running and a bandwidth seller running with 5 Kb/s bandwidth.  2.5 bandwidth goes to the download and 2.5 goes to generating income.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Thanks to those of you who read this all the way through.  I realize that some of these would require balancing, and that's what you're here for.  Any constructive criticism or flaming appreciated.

Zyzzyx out.
Melville

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:52:13 PM »

So the log purge deletes one log forever, no way to get it back, and it takes 20 minutes? Even for that it sounds a bit high. Maybe 15? Also, very good idea for the new servers, I think it would help a lot.
Zyzzyx

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:38:41 PM »

The log purge is mostly to cover tracks permanently to a backup serv.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:56:41 AM »

Good suggestions, some may require balancing / modifications but overall great ideas.

Thank you

BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

Scrixx123@hotmail.com ekam94 pet_shop123@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 11:26:01 PM »

I support the idea, since there should be specialized areas but with limits.

Hiya! I'm a friendly person, and I like to make new friends :]. I'm very helpful and kind, I keep searching for people who would be there for me and talk to me, and in return I will always be there for them. Let me know if you need anything and I will see what i can do.
XRay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:26:36 PM »

I love those ideas. Especially the log purge would be nice as it would allow for better security in special cases like sensitive backups, but needs too much time to be used normally.

Currently I feel that for most players it is not possible to save their software progress, as every backup can be traced by a higher-level player. Especially since research costs a lot of money, it would be nice to see some of it more safe.

The remote firewall would probably need to tell the attacker where the extra defense came from - that way a determined attacker can take out the security server first, whereas more casual hacks might be aborted due to being inefficient (easier targets available).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:28:39 PM by XRay » Logged
Zyzzyx

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:25:30 PM »

I actually think that the remote and dedicated software is a good foil to the new overload system.
gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 11:21:49 AM »

I really like the idea of a complete log eraser, I think that the higher the version though the faster that it purges the log.

XRay

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 01:54:42 PM »

I really like the idea of a complete log eraser, I think that the higher the version though the faster that it purges the log.

I don't know, the high-level players already have incredible bonuses to log deleting, just because no one can restore them with ordinary low-level software.

I like the way the game currently treats required times: Everybody is equally fast, but the higher version softwares are more effective (can break higher firewalls, make more money, are resistant to other progs, etc.). However, I don't know how this can be applied to a permanent log deleter.
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:58:48 AM »

I dont think a total log deleter would work but a total log undeleter? Is that to powerfull? Its not if it takes some time undeleting the logs. (About 1 min per log on 0.1)

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 04:36:31 AM »

I dont think a total log deleter would work but a total log undeleter? Is that to powerfull? Its not if it takes some time undeleting the logs. (About 1 min per log on 0.1)
Mhm that would be hard, what about erasing logs completely? Like unrecoverable, you cant see the box and timestamp. Its gone. It would be a perfect buddy for the undeleter. Or you can set it to how many logs you want to recover starting from the latest.

Hiya! I'm a friendly person, and I like to make new friends :]. I'm very helpful and kind, I keep searching for people who would be there for me and talk to me, and in return I will always be there for them. Let me know if you need anything and I will see what i can do.
Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 05:04:05 AM »

I dont think the poor Log Deleter would say "buddy". After all hes getting more competion with the girls.

BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 05:37:08 AM »

I dont think the poor Log Deleter would say "buddy". After all hes getting more competion with the girls.
Your metaphors confuse me sometimes..

Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 05:49:58 AM »

It wasnt really so much a metaphor as a statement. But Im probably the one with a f**ked up mind here so please do not comment this if you still want to live a normal life. Otherwise you could live you life as I live mine. Thats not a good way of living if the world suddenly becomes populated with dinosaurs because I would not ride them like many other people would try to do. I would talk to them and use them to my evil plans which would cause this all to highly populated planet to expolode. (And thats how I spell it and dont complain.)

XRay

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 06:19:34 AM »

But Im probably the one with a f**ked up mind here

After reading that post of yours, I must completely agree. 16
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:22:15 AM by XRay » Logged