The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 05:23:01 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Secret server IP Change & other updates  (Read 15347 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 10, 2009, 02:05:30 AM »

There are several issues that where addressed and some new features in this update. Details are below:

- on upgrade of a secret server, the hdd upgrade has been boosted

- delete file AP cost on task completion, only on remote deletes: 5 AP

- first secret server can not upgrade anymore and has fixed 0.2 protects (protected secret server, gateway for newbie players into the secret servers network)

- every 10 - 15 days, secret server change IP with localhost process
  -> protected secret server will not have IP Change
  -> a task list entry on the Running Software of the secret server will state the remaining time until the next IP Change
  -> clear / disinfect secret server virii installed of the IP Change server upon completion of IP Change task
  -> all foreign files on the secret server when IP Change task is completed are purged
  -> all mission files are the secret server when IP Change task is completed are purged, and new missions are created instead of the purged missions
  -> all task list processes (incoming / outgoing are dropped when IP Change is complete)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:19:23 AM by siremi » Logged

Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:39:55 AM »

- on upgrade of a secret server, the hdd upgrade has been boosted Good

- delete file AP cost on task completion: 5 AP Bit more balanced now so good!

- first secret server can not upgrade anymore and has fixed 0.2 protects (protected secret server, gateway for newbie players into the secret servers network)Good

- every 10 - 15 days, secret server change IP with localhost process Good/Bad
  -> protected secret server will not have IP Change
  -> a task list entry on the Running Software of the secret server will state the remaining time until the next IP Change
  -> clear / disinfect secret server virii installed of the IP Change server upon completion of IP Change task
  -> all foreign files on the secret server when IP Change task is completed are purged
  -> all mission files are the secret server when IP Change task is completed are purged, and new missions are created instead of the purged missions
  -> all task list processes (incoming / outgoing are dropped when IP Change is complete)

Instead of warning us a bit first you have just put it into action so hmm.. We knew you were working on it but never knew when to expect it..

You lose connection to that secret server and the process is not continuing anymore until you have again established connection (cracked) with the exact same server (different IP)?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:42:20 AM by Donn » Logged
HJ®
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:04 AM »

does the delete file AP cost work on your own gateway?
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 03:46:12 AM »

Will be the same as Deleting Logs I think..

I believe your own gateway should always have an advantage to remote gateway tasks..
jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:50:33 AM »

Hmmm ... that is not how IP change works. You introduced completely new feature for servers. Will IP change on our gateways work the same or are players again something lower?
IP change does not delete/clear virii, only disables them. Says so in the guide.
IP change does not delete all foreign files.
10-15 days? I'm keeping track on protection resets on servers and some servers are change within two days, while others are not changed in weeks. Do you realize that some delete missions take even longer then 15 days? Deleting a 6.3 file share antivirus perhaps?

And with increasing AP cost on task completition you just penalize nongold players again. Less things for them to do. I know you want them to become gold players, but still... And just how does this new feauture addresses any previous problems? Newer players are trying to get and complete <30hpd missions as much as they can find them - with this they are severely limited again.

It is a nice try, but IMHO it should be fair to at least keep it fair for all ... Either change function of IP change or don't do that on secret servers. Even with protection upgrades you are severely punishing any new player that wants to start the game. It is easier for us, who plays round #2 from the start to keep up with the protection upgrades, imagine what can some newbie do with them? And now it will be even harder for them. With this you are not upgrading servers, you are actually deleting an old server and installing completely new one.

lpJ.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:18:52 AM »

delete file AP cost only when doing remote delete files.

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 04:23:57 AM »

Do you realize that some delete missions take even longer then 15 days? Deleting a 6.3 file share antivirus perhaps?

I will come up with something to solve that problem.

This secret server IP Change is something like a Full Diagnostics of the server by the mega-corps. Full Diagnostics scheduled when the IP Change is completed, and the diagnostics includes removing all foreign virii, files, etc. It's like a hdd format and new installation of the OS.

Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:35:29 AM »

Do you realize that some delete missions take even longer then 15 days? Deleting a 6.3 file share antivirus perhaps?

This secret server IP Change is something like a Full Diagnostics of the server by the mega-corps. Full Diagnostics scheduled when the IP Change is completed, and the diagnostics includes removing all foreign virii, files, etc. It's like a hdd format and new installation of the OS.

Im glad you're working on solving problems but why implementing this sort of BIG changes without informing us first?

Do you have any idea what amount of AP you're letting people waste first and then introduce this?

Im ok with the AP system (believe it or not..) but now you're just laughing with us or.. Common..

Nobody will lose so much HPD as me so I have the right to whine! :P

Research update round 1: helping SGP

Server update round 2: helping Ginjitsu

Two times people who everybody thought they would be impossible to catch up with..

Great..
jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 06:32:28 AM »

Full diagnostics ... makes sense, that way I like the idea. If only players were able to do that too, not that it takes us a long time to remove virii and foreign software from our gateways 1

about mission problem - why not leave mission id, file id the same, mission is automatically paused and when you find new ip you can resume the mission? So just implement pause/resume 1

lpJ.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 06:53:05 AM »

You lose connection to that secret server and the process is not continuing anymore until you have again established connection (cracked) with the exact same server (different IP)?

Jager stealing my ideas.. Tsss  laugh

Just kidding mate. Im glad you agree with me on this one  19
HJ®
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 07:15:42 AM »

Im glad you're working on solving problems but why implementing this sort of BIG changes without informing us first?

Do you have any idea what amount of AP you're letting people waste first and then introduce this?

Im ok with the AP system (believe it or not..) but now you're just laughing with us or.. Common..

Nobody will lose so much HPD as me so I have the right to whine! :P

Research update round 1: helping SGP

Server update round 2: helping Ginjitsu

Two times people who everybody thought they would be impossible to catch up with..

Great..

(Note to SirEmi: This post should let you know that so long as you have your heart in the game, our devotion will remain with you!)

If you look around the forums, Donn, you can find that Siremi has informed us that he would be implementing these ideas.

Aside from that, the game may have reset, but it's still a work in progress, just so you know. One day you are praising the new gameplay, but when the actual intended gameplay is introduced, you begin to complain. Not to take anything away from you, Donn, but that doesn't seem very fair to Siremi. It sounds like something I would do!

Please tell me how this update helps Ginjitsu, or the research update helped SGP last round. Now you're just pointing fingers.
jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 07:19:38 AM »

I knew I read that already somewhere. I just think that is possible to implement and that it would be interesting ... 1
termul

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 07:23:28 AM »

Agreed HJ, these updates is something what we've been waiting for.
Even if they are inconvinient at this moment (to some players a little more then to others) we should be able to see that it improves gameplay in the long run. All we have to do is adapt a little.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 07:49:40 AM »

(Note to SirEmi: This post should let you know that so long as you have your heart in the game, our devotion will remain with you!)

If you look around the forums, Donn, you can find that Siremi has informed us that he would be implementing these ideas.

Aside from that, the game may have reset, but it's still a work in progress, just so you know. One day you are praising the new gameplay, but when the actual intended gameplay is introduced, you begin to complain. Not to take anything away from you, Donn, but that doesn't seem very fair to Siremi. It sounds like something I would do!

Please tell me how this update helps Ginjitsu, or the research update helped SGP last round. Now you're just pointing fingers.

Yes indeed he has informed us but he never said when exactly.. Just like the time the research update happened.. I am praising his upgrades but not how he brings them into the game..

About me being fair to Emi or not: Im not going to start a discussion with you. You know I have been fair to him the last few days/weeks, as you were once.. As long as some people try to calm the others down..

Helping SGP in round 1:

So, you gave us a means to start research on multiple files at once easily, only to make it entirely useless?...  Interesting...

Oh well, now with higher-level research impossible, no protects will ever compete with mine.  I thank you for administering an update to solidify supremacy of those on the top, and screw over everyone else.

This change is the kind of change that should be restricted to happening between resets. it makes catching up to higher players impossible without sharing the exact same files they have.

The more I think about this the more I gotta say Thank you Sir Emi.   You just made it impossible for anyone to challenge SGP in the top 10.   Especially since we have some new members coming in that should allow us to tie up all the top 10 slots.

Not only that but with the new hardware requirements for research it is only the top players who can still research at will.   My alt got hosed by this update but that just goes to show that now it is impossible for younger players to catch up to older players.

Wow, emi. Great update! Especially since my main server now has nearly 2,000,000 CPU.

So long, HP! There goes the playerbase. SGP may aswell stop researching, we're untouchable now.

And many other opinions can be read here: http://www.hacker-project.com/forum/index.php?topic=1005.15

You said it yourself HJ.. It helped SGP in round 1. Didnt help enough maybe but it helped..

Now for round 2: Helping Ginjitsu

He got such a good hardware thanks to his missions and (not sure since I dont know his farm) his virii..

Others have gotten strong also but not even close to Ginjitsu.. (and Vashied but since he's inactive..)

Why? We had virii installed also but we werent able to do so many missions because we lacked the free time.. (Remember the time when tactics mattered? Not the most free time..?)

Several people have therefor targetted file shares of Ginjitsu and many others to install their own (and luckely not many people responded).

So now some people are gaining in on Ginjitsu.. BUT..

We have 2 disadvantages now..

1) our file shares (who were almost 100% safe.. lol..) are gone and lots of AP will be needed to reinstall.. AP we dont have..

2) we cant profit from the tactic Ginjitsu used (doing mass missions) since it costs 5 AP now..

True.. Ginjitsu wont be able to profit from it also anymore but still.. The damage is done.. Some will still be able to keep up (I know who) but a lot wont..

As you know.. Hardware is everything since it gives you the ability (with the right breaker software) to hack anybody you want.. Whatever protection will come out.. He'll be able to crack it with the current hardware he has..

Latest update on his hardware that I know of: 8 Jan '09

load average 1,884,479/1,903,000 Mhz CPU 99%, 98,729,401/107,678,720 Kb Mem 92%, 2,000.70/2,380 Kbs Bandwidth 84%

Im scared to know what the hardware of his other server is..

I have nothing against Ginjitsu.. Really.. But he is the competition after all.. Its just not fair.. At least thats my opinion at the moment.. Im always ready to listen to other people and change my opinion so if you do see it differently then please do make the effort to explain me how you see it.. You know I will listen..
Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 10:23:23 AM »

Other Server:

load average 50,750/50,750 Mhz CPU 100%, 2,030,000/2,051,072 Kb Mem 99%, 10,150.00/10,150 Kbs Bandwidth 100%

really not that much so nothing to fear there. I agree that some advanced notice as to WHEN the update was to go into effect would have been nice.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: