The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 29, 2024, 10:41:34 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fast way to get HPD?  (Read 11107 times)
apophis775

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2009, 01:34:28 AM »

Any suggestions?

Doing these low level mishs that are worth like 300 at most is KILLING ME.

I want a second server so I have a backup and don't have to risk losing everything if hit by 1 attack.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 02:12:25 PM »

Missions, Virii, Time

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
DamascuS

準備戰爭

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:51:08 PM »

Sorry apophis775, but vman is correct.

This game takes a LOT of time and patience, but don't worry, the more you do, the more you can upgrade, then you can do even more at a time. And once you can defend against 'missions thiefs' (sorry) you can take the 1k+ missions. You can also do those right away if you don't mind being hacked, but its not recommended. (ie. waiting 20+ hours for a delete just to have someone cancel it aint nice lol).

Good luck though!

apophis775

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »

Thx 4 help.  It's not as slow now.  I usually run between 7 and 9 file-deletes worth about 30, so about every 15 minutes i turn them in and get monies.
jimmi33

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:55:46 AM »

If you are afraid of someone cracking you then change ip after you have begon the mission.
nolkillerklowns

Nol_Killer_klowns@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »

Hardest but safest way i have found is to buy servers and use them to make money. i currently have 6 5 of which are nothing but farms and the other i upgrade. which all 5 run 11 .2 fileshares.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:53:42 PM »

Hardest but safest way i have found is to buy servers and use them to make money. i currently have 6 5 of which are nothing but farms and the other i upgrade. which all 5 run 11 .2 fileshares.

That is not very safe though.   The more servers you have the greater the chances of being found out.  BTW Hiya NKK haven't seen you on the SGP forums in a good while.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
nolkillerklowns

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 08:05:16 PM »

hey, and yes it is.. so long as you do the math right and max a server ( as in max the cpu hard drive and BW) all the way out. other wise you can be hit.... i have had 2 servers found out and all the do is crack it and then get mad that they cant do anything 1
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 12:34:05 AM »

hey, and yes it is.. so long as you do the math right and max a server ( as in max the cpu hard drive and BW) all the way out. other wise you can be hit.... i have had 2 servers found out and all the do is crack it and then get mad that they cant do anything 1

Ah but I would start disinfects going galore and everytime they got canceled I would restart them until I could complete them successfully.  That is the only form of PvP left in this game though.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
nolkillerklowns

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:53:04 AM »

ok, so? i would have let you do the dirty work and waste your ap and i would just upgrade and install bigger and better stuff..... i mean really with the way the ap system works yeah you would hurt a persons income for a little while but you would still be useing your ap to do it... i would just reinstall a bigger fileshare and call it a day.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 03:00:01 AM »

ok, so? i would have let you do the dirty work and waste your ap and i would just upgrade and install bigger and better stuff..... i mean really with the way the ap system works yeah you would hurt a persons income for a little while but you would still be useing your ap to do it... i would just reinstall a bigger fileshare and call it a day.

Except that disinfecting a virus uses half the AP that installing it does.  So for every one you install 2 can be disinfected.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
setech

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »

While you vman are mathematically right, in practice nolkillerklowns is right.

I do the same thing. The beginning is slow, but it's quite convenient and you get an exponential growth until you reach the AP install limit. You never give away you IP (except for software dealer), so you get guests only really rarely. If/when they come, they cannot do much harm in a hurry. Even if they started to do captures/disinfects, with an adequate balancing of resources between servers, you just format/IP change and set the affected node up again.

Right now I make 2k+ HPD an hour with no time investment at all (thats not true, I have to hit the collect all button once in a while). I mostly spend around 10 minutes a day on upgrades, so it grows with like 3-4 basic FS daily right now, but because of the exponential growth, this will be an order of magnitude more in a few weeks.

I could be further ahead if I had done missions in the beginning to accelerate the HPD generation, but I was too lazy. Actually I haven't done missions at all in this entire round since the reset.

Before the reset, I bought my own 4.2 FS as stolen sw. I had about 10 of them per server at once. Even if someone would have penetrated the server and started to capture/dissinfect the files (which no one did), it would have taken ages to do some reasonable damage. Resetting a node of that magnitude takes a few days, which I would have done. In essence the attacker would have gained no HPD, and would have lost a bunch of AP doing only a calculated damage. I never had to actually reset a node, and I had about a dozen running by the end of the round, which all had no protection whatsoever.

nolkillerklowns had another good point: if you go with this method, then make sure to max out the server usage. Makes it even less inviting to hack it. Oh, and now that I recall, someone installed a spyware on one of my servers back then, so you may have to get rid of those one at times, but that's rare. Also with high enough FS, you can make sure there are not enough resources to run such pesky plagues.

Actually this is also one of the fundamental problems of the game. It's growth rates are exponential, which inevitably makes periodical resets necessary. Another MMO I'm playing does a logarithmic growth approach (growth flattens out, everything gets substantially more expensive with higher levels). That one proved to be much more stable on the long run. They also open a new server every half a year for newer players, while keeping the older ones around. But that's another topic all together.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:50:37 PM by setech » Logged

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »

nolkillerklowns had another good point: if you go with this method, then make sure to max out the server usage. Makes it even less inviting to hack it. Oh, and now that I recall, someone installed a spyware on one of my servers back then, so you may have to get rid of those one at times, but that's rare. Also with high enough FS, you can make sure there are not enough resources to run such pesky plagues.

Every veteran player knows this already, I hope..

But I don't see how NKK is right and Ebolla is wrong. If you only have 1 farm, you can still use this method. It's even more safe because the chance that they find 1 out of 1 farm is lower than the chance of them finding 1 out 10 farms. Ofcourse once they found 1, they've found em all. But so what? By using this method you have no problems so..

Saves the cost of buying new servers also.
setech

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 08:19:10 AM »

Yea, that works too. It's just my overly paranoiac thinking. If you have several servers, then you still have some defense/damage control against someone who would attack you for pure hatred (i.e. with no profit motivation). If you play nice and have faith, then one server is more then enough.

ps. And at some point you don't really care about the cost for new servers as long as they stay below a few hundred thousand HPD.

pps. Oh, and yes, I'm not pushing for first place. Of course if you do the competition thing, then every HPD is of importance.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:23:00 AM by setech » Logged

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
nolkillerklowns

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:26 AM »

well thats just it, the only way that this would work is that you run high level FS's and do the math to max the servers completely out. Because ebolla has a point that it takes more AP for me to install. So you have to make it a little uninviting for a person to start messing with a machine. for example, all of my machines are never logged into from my main, and the machines are never used to log into another machine. (one of the perks of gold)  so my main does all of the work and i use SFTP and transfer everything. which also saves me AP. So now i have a maxed out machine. and an unlimited instant supply of virri to keep installing. This is all i really do right now at least untill i decide which side i want.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: