The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 08:17:30 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Buying Vs Researching  (Read 5893 times)
DamascuS

準備戰爭

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:57:18 AM »

This question is directed at Sir Emi.

There are tons of ideas floating around, but can you please clear this up for us, as we havnt got a clue what the deal is with this.

When you buy software from the dealer, do you get any power increase? If so...is it less/equal/more than you would get if you researched that piece of software?

I can see which one makes sense to me, ie: you would get less power buying it, but then the cash needed to actually buy that software would counteract the decrease in power, because of the skill needed in actually obtaining that cash (make sense?)

I/We would greatly appreciate your input on this titam.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
DamascuS

jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:55:36 AM »

Well, I am not Emi, but can tell you from my experience that you get the same power increase ...

It is good to research if:
- you don't have enough money but have good hardware 1
- there are no higher versions available and you research further to gain more advantage and more power

But I understand your dilemma ... Then again - if you would receive less power points with buying then from researching - would you receive less power points from downloading that software from someone? It's the same as buying - even better - you keep the money 1

lpJ.

DamascuS

準備戰爭

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »

Exactly,

A friend on hp recently divulged to me that they have bought software (say...opting for the second highest version or something) and then mass-researched it up past the highest version quite quickly, and i have noticed the rather large increase in power. Though i can't say for sure, as you dont notice quite as much when the version increases steadily (when researching), but...thinking logically, wouldnt the research part just cancel out (in laymans terms, "make hp forget" lol) the fact that you bought the software in the first place?

I really dont want to have to resort to spending something like 3 million hpd on a piece of software, and then spend the same again researching another to the same level to measure the difference. (although that would only take me 6 days in total with my income 12 )

Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »

There should be no difference at all between buying software, sharing software and researching software. It may sound unfair but I don't think it's interesting to implement a system where you make a distinction between your own software and software you received / have stolen.

You got the software one way or another and have paid a price for it. Depending on what effort you did, the price was big or small. However that all is up to you. If you would make a distinction, everyone would focus on making their own software and nobody would do PvP.

Buying software however, shouldn't give you more points so if this is the case, it will be regarded as a bug and it will be corrected. I'm certain of it.

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:13:34 PM »

You should get the same power increase, provided you purchase a software that you do not yet have and is the highest version.

DamascuS

準備戰爭

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »

You should get the same power increase, provided you purchase a software that you do not yet have and is the highest version.

I figured that may be the case, thank you sir emi 1

Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »

just purchased a software and lost power :( 

shame on me ........
Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:19:09 AM »

Well I know from personal experience I purchased the v8 Faith from the dealer and I dropped a bunch in power cause from what I see it seems that the money spent cost me power in relation to the program I purchased. I only had the v1.9 Faith at the time of purchase.
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:22:46 AM »

Told you guys, the HPD cost will drop your power more than the software increase will help it with the super high prices at the software dealer...

jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:07:06 PM »

Which IMHO is fair. I can testify that researching does not cost you power - nor does it give you at the moment. Today I researched some software for about +v40 and spend few mio HPD on it. Power - the same. Take the shortcut and buy it - your loss - I worked for it 1
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »

Yep, that's how it has always worked... balancing to keep the big people from just buying all the softwares for power gains....

Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »

Which IMHO is fair. I can testify that researching does not cost you power - nor does it give you at the moment. Today I researched some software for about +v40 and spend few mio HPD on it. Power - the same. Take the shortcut and buy it - your loss - I worked for it 1

i agree its fair - i actually did it as a test :P

during the last month or so i decided to build me a farm to see how enjoyable it was. or wasnt as the case was

had 7 mil lying around and thought wth ill spend it on some software - im kinda pleased it lowered my ranking
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: