The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 04:56:05 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Remote Malware is Fail?  (Read 9504 times)
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:47 PM »

I was testing out the new Remote malware feature, so i fired it up slapped in the IP and waited, the person I was executed it on then went and logged into the server where it was running the remote process and closed it =/

No need for remote attack disruptor at all

When i did finally attack someone it did a tiny 1000 CPU damage (0.2 malware with 150 hours on it) considering it was a monster gateway, it's a bit crap....

So whats the point in the disruptor at all >_>

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:49:46 AM »

Quote from update:
http://www.hacker-project.com/forum/index.php?topic=2041.0

"- malware remote attack power is only 5% and will reset your vir timer just like a normal attack, while activating directly on host will "

Think about it. You only hit with one virus. The remote malware is designed for mass attacks in strategic attacks. It's like nukes, it's better to launch several nukes at once and totally annihilate your opponent then just one to scratch the surface.

This means you need 20 viruses to match the power of one local install on a remote attack, but once you get a few virii farms up, the damage will be great. Keep in mind, that you can use other hosts as virii farms, and use the malware to remote attack... remotely. 200x V 0.1 hardware malware firing at once is very painful, trust me.

As for the closing, as long as you are the owner, you can kill or complete the process on the target or on the source. Anyone else will only be able to kill the attack process on the source, or by using RAD.

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:34:29 AM »

It just seems mostly pointless to me to use the RAD at all, but I guess if i were to put malware on my own gateway, start the process, then change IP, it wouldn't interrupt the attack?

I didn't know it only did 5% of the full damage until now actually, the 0.2 still took like an hour to complete so a v2 malware would take 10 hours?! Isn't that a bit ridiculous as most players are rarely offline that long  confused2

ivandrago
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:07:12 AM »

It just seems mostly pointless to me to use the RAD at all, but I guess if i were to put malware on my own gateway, start the process, then change IP, it wouldn't interrupt the attack?

I didn't know it only did 5% of the full damage until now actually, the 0.2 still took like an hour to complete so a v2 malware would take 10 hours?! Isn't that a bit ridiculous as most players are rarely offline that long  confused2

It's like Emi said .... you can choose to attack with 1 x v2 which would take rather long indeed, but is more AP efficient.
Attacking with 20 x v0.1 is much faster but it'll cost 20x more AP. Your choice ....
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:18:41 AM »

I ran something like 14x .1 malware attacks against a player testing it out.  I had about 440 hours total in time saved up.  It did something like 15k hpd worth of damage. 

Imagine saving up thousands of hours worth across dozens of malware programs...

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 03:42:39 PM »

blowup

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »

One thing i'll have to disagree with though is Emi's nuke analogy  16
If someone's gonna launch a nuke, it rarely takes more than one!

It takes 10 to hit all the faction HQ's ;) (rev)

bake~well

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 06:20:05 PM »

yeah, and if you want to destroy an entire place like the unites states instead of just dc?

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »

bake~well

Yeah, I saw thinking in the terms of cold war end game scenarios, where one incident could cause one missile to go off, then the other county will launch it's whole arsenal that will determine the other country to launch all missiles, and... Doom's Day.

It could be similar when you are trying to destroy a gateway of a player that you know is going to respond to the attack, you will want to launch all your arsenal at once hoping to obliterate him and maybe he won't be able to counter attack...

Of course there are different strategies you can take in HP, it mostly depends on how you setup you attack servers. For example, you could set it up at 10x small un-owned captured servers, each holding 10x V 0.1 malware virs. Now, when you attack, you are coming in from 10 servers, with 10 attacks on each. Very hard to defend or strike back against it, but easier to evade.

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:03:35 PM »

bake~well

Yeah, I saw thinking in the terms of cold war end game scenarios, where one incident could cause one missile to go off, then the other county will launch it's whole arsenal that will determine the other country to launch all missiles, and... Doom's Day.

It could be similar when you are trying to destroy a gateway of a player that you know is going to respond to the attack, you will want to launch all your arsenal at once hoping to obliterate him and maybe he won't be able to counter attack...

Of course there are different strategies you can take in HP, it mostly depends on how you setup you attack servers. For example, you could set it up at 10x small un-owned captured servers, each holding 10x V 0.1 malware virs. Now, when you attack, you are coming in from 10 servers, with 10 attacks on each. Very hard to defend or strike back against it, but easier to evade.

Like Defcon then 8D One nuke goes...everyone's nukes go...

Question, so I can duplicate a malware on my own gateway, install a hundred of them or so, start the remote attack, then change IP and they wont know where it came from without tracing or using RAD?

I guess in that sense it's kinda terrifying....

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 12:52:35 PM »

Question, so I can duplicate a malware on my own gateway, install a hundred of them or so, start the remote attack, then change IP and they wont know where it came from without tracing or using RAD?

I guess in that sense it's kinda terrifying....

Quote from the notes page in the update section:

"- "Change IP" will intrerupt outgoing remote attack tasks from the IP that is changing."

So you can't do that if you still want to attack, you need to wait the timer out without changing IP in order to complete the attack. This gives the defender a chance to strike back. This is why I suggested that you spread your attack by using 10 attack servers.

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »

Argh, sorry I should learn to read more carefully/pay attention  14

Time to get 999999999999999 Malware
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:07:17 PM by DeltA-9.1 » Logged

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »

Argh, sorry I should learn to read more sarefully/pay attention  14

Time to get 999999999999999 Malware
yes you should learn to read more sarefully, and carefully as well