The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 25, 2024, 04:35:05 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Wrong Fileshare Install Timers?!  (Read 16771 times)
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »

*Thinks Vac Mode is stupid, just a way for people to hide...and obviously it's just causing more harm than good*

I concur. I think you should automatically go into vacation mode after you've not logged in after 730 hours (One month roughly)

And that be the only way
But then we'd lose random private servers so thats put me off my own idea...

Vacation mode should make your power nil and only be deactivate-able after a week at least  bodyguard

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 09:22:43 PM »

No, I think Vacation mode was needed.  Too much stress on those who take a weeks vacation, thinking about their account.  This way at least you are partially protected, at least against everything but rev attacks.

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »

and hopefully vac mode doesn't protect against that

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »

No vacation mode does not protect against rev virus.

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 10:59:11 AM »

It doesn't protect against the resets, but protects against being bombed by the Rev afaik...

Hatejacket
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »

Yep, so people can just install a number of virii, let them build HPD for a number of hours and then hide in VAC mode until the day/week before the round ends. Pop out, collect and enjoy your boost in ranking.

Install a number of Malwares, let them build up, come out, collect and bomb away.

This is why we rejected the idea of Vac mode when it was first introduced way back in round 1. It's a dirty loophole.

Personally I will log anybody who goes into VAC mode without a legitimate reason, and I'll be waiting for the day you come out with plenty of malware. I understand if you're scared but that doesn't mean you should go hide in a cheap way.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »

I'm pretty sure all timers are paused. Viruses and malware included. Tasks can even time-out  17

Hatejacket
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 05:26:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure all timers are paused. Viruses and malware included. Tasks can even time-out  17

Yeah. And if you put them on your own servers they can't be disinfected either.

How about next round I take my second account and beef it up a little bit, throw some malwares on them and let it go unnoticed as long as possible, say 500 hours for 100-200 malwares. Then after they have gone for a sufficient amount of time or someone starts to disinfect them, I go into vacation mode until 8 Revelation viruses are installed. I then come out and use the malwares to bomb the people challenging for the top spots.

There's nothing that says this is against the rules, and Vacation mode allows it.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »

But you could do that anyway without vacation mode... Make a new account and put malware on it.
Personally i don't think multiple account should be allowed at all as they're always open to abuse, or if you're going to have more than one account, make it force the other one out of use...I mean, there's no way to detect if someone is simply copying servers over from one account to the other (I'm sure people do it) use spyware on there own barons etc. Because we all know emi doesn't actually check for that sort of cheating activity, yet I somehow doubt people with secondary accounts have genuinly worked them up from scratch... But we have to give them the benefit of the doubt, which is, open to abuse..  14

I'm not really sure what you are saying... That its a problem because people can just hide?
I'm not saying i like vacation mode, quite the contrary actually, I'm just trying to see what the issue is here
Especially as anyone could do that so it's not like it's unfair, just lame

Hatejacket
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 06:14:43 PM »

But you could do that anyway without vacation mode... Make a new account and put malware on it.
Personally i don't think multiple account should be allowed at all as they're always open to abuse, or if you're going to have more than one account, make it force the other one out of use...I mean, there's no way to detect if someone is simply copying servers over from one account to the other (I'm sure people do it) use spyware on there own barons etc. Because we all know emi doesn't actually check for that sort of cheating activity, yet I somehow doubt people with secondary accounts have genuinly worked them up from scratch... But we have to give them the benefit of the doubt, which is, open to abuse..  14

I'm not really sure what you are saying... That its a problem because people can just hide?
I'm not saying i like vacation mode, quite the contrary actually, I'm just trying to see what the issue is here
Especially as anyone could do that so it's not like it's unfair, just lame

An IP and account check are simple ways of detecting if someone is breaking the rules, but in the example that I mentioned, no rules are even broken. It's a "legitimate" tactic because there is nothing that says you can't do so.

If you make a new account and put malware on it without vacation mode introduced, someone can actually stumble upon the farm and disinfect it and you probably wouldn't even notice. Not to mention you are then tagged for the round (Unless you put gold on both accounts), if someone sees your server name they can easily check it again for malware. With Vacation mode, you are completely undetectable, you can't even have your server cracked. Therefore you are completely immune. You could essentially build up masses of malware farms this way and just unleash them all towards the end of the round.

Yes, it's a problem because people can simply hide behind their vacation mode, and in this example, you can even use Vacation mode to your advantage which is bull crap, and is why we never had it implemented in the first place.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 06:23:35 PM »

Yep, so people can just install a number of virii, let them build HPD for a number of hours and then hide in VAC mode until the day/week before the round ends. Pop out, collect and enjoy your boost in ranking.

You will not gain any action points, and your virii timers and private servers tasks will be frozen at the time you entered the vacation mode. Revelation can still hit your servers.

Someone that entered a vacation mode for 3 days, when he comes back will have the same exact power and vir collect timers as when he entered vacation mode.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:26:08 PM by siremi » Logged

Hatejacket
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »

You will not gain any action points, and your virii timers and private servers tasks will be frozen at the time you entered the vacation mode.

Sure, but that doesn't protect you from starting up a large malware farm and letting it go for a number of hours (if it goes undetected which 95% of the time, it will), and THEN going into VAC mode, popping back out at the end of the round and you already have a large malware farm ready.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »

Sure, but that doesn't protect you from starting up a large malware farm and letting it go for a number of hours (if it goes undetected which 95% of the time, it will), and THEN going into VAC mode, popping back out at the end of the round and you already have a large malware farm ready.

Yes, you will have a large malware farm with 0 attack power... unless you let it gain that power by staying out of vacation mode.

You could also scan a server that is in vacation mode using an IP Scanner if you're worried about pretenders to the Top 10 hiding in vacation mode. This will give you the owner of the server. Then if you want, you can malware the server with Revelation even if it's in vacation mode. You can get the IP from the dealer even if he is in vacation mode.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:30:55 PM by siremi » Logged

Hatejacket
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 06:29:33 PM »

Yes, you will have a large malware farm with 0 attack power... unless you let it gain that power by staying out of vacation mode.

How would it have 0 attack power unless all your Malware had their timers RESET as opposed to frozen?

I make a farm. I let the malware run for 500 hours. I go into vac mode for two months. I come back, and i still have 500 hours on my malware. How does that equal 0 attack power?

The same can be said for a Baron virus. I get 15/30 farms going, let them run for 500 hours and then go into Vacation mode. I come back, and I have a hefty payment ready for me...Not to mention nobody had a chance to disinfect them or come close. That's a significant power jump.

You could also scan a server that is in vacation mode using an IP Scanner if you're worried about pretenders to the Top 10 hiding in vacation mode. This will give you the owner of the server. Then if you want, you can malware the server with Revelation even if it's in vacation mode. You can get the IP from the dealer even if he is in vacation mode.

That doesn't get rid of the 500+ hours of Malware they could potentially have installed and waiting for you. In fact, it makes it harder to disinfect them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:33:16 PM by Hatejacket » Logged
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »

HJ, I don't see any problems. To get the 500 hours malware, you need to sit and wait with your malware farm for that 500 hours while out of vacation. Much can happen in those 500 hours.

Then, you need to lock your account and sit and wait for Revelation Day... it takes a lot of time and resources, and you will fall behind.

My guess is you think one can make multiple accounts, sleepers that would wake up during Revelation day and attack everyone... This would be against the TOS and would be a ban for the alts as well as the main account because it's considered using multiple accounts to attack the same target.

Remote malware is a powerful tool, but if one is decently active, it's very easy to avoid / evade. Changing your IP for example will break all incoming remote attacks. Inactive accounts should be in vacation mode and unreachable by remote malware, only by Revelation.

I don't see any immediate problem. I agree it's not perfect, and time will tell when we get to Revelation Day, but so far vacation mode is more beneficial then harmful.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:47:13 PM by siremi » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: