The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 03:08:46 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: PvP update: software and HDD overloads  (Read 15686 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:20:43 PM »

I have improved the behavior of the software overloads that was updated here:

http://www.hacker-project.com/forum/index.php?topic=2634.0

- the virii that is overloading will not crash instantly but create a crash process that can be seen in "Running Software"
- the crash process takes 5x less time then the activation of a vir to complete, making certain virii crash slower
- this enables ample time to react and upgrade the hardware before the crash takes place
- normal programs like research tasks and protections still crash instantly, only installed virii start a crash process
- small virii will crash faster then large bulk virii
- if hardware is back to optimal all the processes go away

Added HDD crash, if the HDD is below and can not support files, crash processes are started on files:

- a random file is chosen every hour and a HDD file crash process is started
- the crash process completes 5x times faster then a delete file action
- usually small files are lost faster because of the delay of the big files and time to complete
- big files take a lot of time to crash
- if the HDD is increased or some files are lost and it goes below the 100% HDD, then all crash processes go away. This is not instant but when a crash file process completes (every hour), it checks if the HDD is overloaded, if it's not then the file will not crash and all crash processes are killed.
- HDD crash only affects player owned servers / gateways and group servers while unlisted servers, public, secret not affected.

Next update will be PvP board, a new link in the left menu. Mega-Corps will hire players for PvP missions against other players in different faction that have a negative rep towards the corp. PvP points will given and the board will show a top PvP ranking. Also, PvP points will be exchangeable for HPD, AP, Standing or even 60 day Gold. The PvP missions will take advantage of the overload processes and a player that has a PvP target active will be able to sign a crash process and get PvP points for it.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:43:54 PM by siremi » Logged

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 04:25:26 PM »

Awesome!

Izurin

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »

Lets all make a bigger malware server!

Power to malware!
Exousia
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 05:43:01 AM »

I now have servers with overload processes counting down with 600-900 hours remaining and they're not going to stop until they complete, even though the problem is now fixed.  21
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:20:11 AM »

Yeah, could do with making them disappear after an hour of upgrading or instantly, else they stay until the process is due to crash, then don't, which isnt great for huge files

Or you should be able to kill the overload task once you have the hardware

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 03:23:19 PM »

great update

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 01:10:30 AM »

Yeah, could do with making them disappear after an hour of upgrading or instantly, else they stay until the process is due to crash, then don't, which isnt great for huge files

Or you should be able to kill the overload task once you have the hardware

Updated:
- the HDD crash process goes away now if the HDD is not overloaded. The checks are made each hour on the overloaded servers, and if the HDD is no longer overloaded, all HDD crash processes go away.

- if you see a HDD crash process, try to look for hidden files first. The "Files / Programs" HDD % may not reflect the real value if you can't see the hidden files.

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 08:56:25 AM »

thats an interesting idea, upload a huge file, hide it with a large file, mal the server

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »

You do have a problem with the BW overload portion of this.....I am copying a file on my own server...as you know when you copy it shows BW overload even thou your only using the amount of BW on your server. I now have an error that says i'm gonna lose a virii(that d**n word again) because of it. While I commend you on taking care of a problem you have opened a new one...Please fix this or copying a file onto one's own server is gonna be a problem..espically when it's a large one that takes a long period of time.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 03:12:56 PM »

That was alwyas a bug type thing in itself anyway, just use half the BW

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »

Hmm, maybe I will add copy file action that should make a copy of that file on the HDD.

Should be easy to implement and it will not use bandwidth, instead it could copy files at 10x the speed of a normal delete action, same time to complete as the localhost delete file action.

Other that that, I don't see a way other then using 50% BW like it was suggested, because it's still overloading the BW since the file is sent via a remote connection and you get upload / download at the same time. Same happens in real life, if you connect to a proxy then connect to your computer from that proxy and begin sending files, you are uploading / downloading at the same time...

Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »

Hmm, maybe I will add copy file action that should make a copy of that file on the HDD.

Should be easy to implement and it will not use bandwidth, instead it could copy files at 10x the speed of a normal delete action, same time to complete as the localhost delete file action.

Other that that, I don't see a way other then using 50% BW like it was suggested, because it's still overloading the BW since the file is sent via a remote connection and you get upload / download at the same time. Same happens in real life, if you connect to a proxy then connect to your computer from that proxy and begin sending files, you are uploading / downloading at the same time...

I think a copy button would be not only the sufficient way to go but one that is logical...If i copy a file from one folder on my computer to another it doesn't take up any BW. So that would make sense as opposed to only using half the bw...with in essense makes the download take twice as long as it should. Thank You.

And in regard to deletion times...there needs to be something done...we do these steal file missions for the Baron AV's that have nice payout and reward...but then they take 1500-2500 hours to delete if you don't need them....that is WAY too long. then you have a harddrive with a bunch of AV's that take up massive amounts of HD space.   Can ya work on that as well please...Thank you.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »

And in regard to deletion times...there needs to be something done...we do these steal file missions for the Baron AV's that have nice payout and reward...but then they take 1500-2500 hours to delete if you don't need them....that is WAY too long. then you have a harddrive with a bunch of AV's that take up massive amounts of HD space.   Can ya work on that as well please...Thank you.

For this matter I want to do some features, like some software that may speed the delete process as some cost. The cost is to be debated, but my guess would be using CPU / memory to overload the delete process on the gateway side and get a better timing... This way you are using HPD invested in the hardware to get more juice from the missions...

Duplicate / copy file is now updated and avilable:

http://www.hacker-project.com/forum/index.php?topic=2656.0

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:00:23 PM by siremi » Logged

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 08:45:03 AM »

wait you put a link on this page to this page? why not just use a new post to tell the new information

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 01:00:39 PM »

wait you put a link on this page to this page? why not just use a new post to tell the new information

fixed thanks

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: