The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 02:54:44 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: IP Database changes.  (Read 5940 times)
asdfth12

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »

IP Database changes

Well, first off why can't we remove public servers from our database? Im guessing that they will be used for some feature yet to be released but still... it would be nice to know more then "Could not delete this server. You will need it in the future."

And then just some other general catagization under each main catagory. (Able to orginize public and secret servers by corperation.)

And admin. Instead of making that a group to itself, why not make it so you can select wether to view all ip's, ip's with admin access, or ip's without admin access for each seperate catagory? (If you select to view just those without admin access and then select view public all/corperationofchoicehere then it will just show you the ip's that you don't have admin access to)
Apocrypha

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »

why would you want to delete public servers from the database? maybe i'm being a noob

I can agree with the rest

asdfth12

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »

You can already delete secret, private, and faction servers from your database. Why not be able to do this with public?

Hatejacket
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »

You can't delete public IPs because at the start of the round you need them to get your basic files. It's a measure used to stop new (key word being new) players from deleting these servers and then having nowhere to begin playing from.

When you select public IPs, they already sort by corporation. I wouldn't be against sorting secret IP's by faction, however.

I see where you are trying to go with your suggestion (maybe, i'm drinking  shifty) and I like it. Being able to sort by secret IPs from a certain corporation, and then whether or not you have admin on those servers while keeping the sorting intact would be very nice.
asdfth12

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »

Aite, i understand that now. But still, how about removing this protection when a player goes over a certian power level?
Hatejacket
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »

Aite, i understand that now. But still, how about removing this protection when a player goes over a certian power level?

I don't see why not.

Public servers are still handy throughout the round though, so I don't think you'd realize what's gone until you learn how to properly use it.
asdfth12

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »

I can't see much use other then small virii and bouncing. Both of those options are more viable on secret servers though. Or private servers.

The only publics that I can see as worthwhile are the TL repositories. And thats only for the virii.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:16:06 PM by asdfth12 » Logged
Hatejacket
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »

I can't see much use other then small virii and bouncing. Both of those options are more viable on secret servers though. Or private servers.

The only publics that I can see as worthwhile are the TL repositories. And thats only for the virii.

There are more uses than that.  I'm not about to delve into my strategies but I'm sure Emi could give you some reasons.

Regardless, you are trying to make a very irrelevant change. And I don't see it happening.

No matter what way you swing it, the IP database by itself (unsorted) is going to look sloppy. You shouldn't assume that you can just delete secret/private servers to keep everything in order: that is silly and a waste of time.

You suggest that a certain power level should grant you the ability to delete your secret servers. What about towards the end of the round, where a newbie can simply download one file unsuspectingly and go over that threshold? It won't happen.

You're better off finding new ways to sort the IP database. It won't stay sorted, period.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:49:27 AM by Hatejacket » Logged
asdfth12

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »

No were did I say anything about getting the ability to delete secret servers once you reach a certian power level. But, I did say that about public's.
Hatejacket
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »

No were did I say anything about getting the ability to delete secret servers once you reach a certian power level. But, I did say that about public's.

Good job, you found my typo. Anything of substance you'd like to add?
norill

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »

i like the idea of combinations like secred&admin, secred&non-admin, etc.

asdfth12

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »

This is a typo
pubic

This isn't
Secret

Hatejacket
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 05:32:32 PM »

This is a typo
pubic

This isn't
Secret

Cool. Good for you. You're really making an argument for yourself on this suggestion.
Apocrypha

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »

this an argument or a spelling bee?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: