The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 26, 2024, 10:28:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Put CAPs on things  (Read 12282 times)
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 12:38:22 PM »

the crash! i can agree with, straight delete, NO!
What do you mean by that.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »

If you add in cooling then you really need to have it take the amount of CPU power into consideration.

Granted up until Intel came out with the Core 2 Duo which can run at 100% with only a heatsink and not overheat, all CPUs ran into heat issues with AMD being the big one.  The faster the CPU the more heat it generated so the more cooling it would take.

Could have it also affect Memory and the HDD.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 04:45:01 PM »

It can not effect the RAM an HHD but when over loading the Ram usage of the overloaded software does go up.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »

It can not effect the RAM an HHD but when over loading the Ram usage of the overloaded software does go up.

Usually part of overclocking is boosting the speed of the FSB which affects RAM.   The HDD comes into the scene due to the heat it generates.  Hence why there are HDD coolers out there.  To reduce the heat in the case allowing it to run more stable than otherwise would be possible.

Here are some examples of HDD Coolers

Mind you SGP does not endorse any of the following.  The links are only provide as reference materials to the discussion at hand.
Xoxide
SVC
Vantec
Zalman

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »

The problem with overclocking, as has been said before, is that there is no limit. Using my current computer specs and a .32 firewall bypass, I can crack a firewall of over V 16. That clearly doesn't make sense. Not only does it invalidate the purpose of upgrading protection and bypass software, it nearly makes protection altogether useless. Overclocking is, in and of itself, an imbalance. It makes sense for early game play, but later on it doesn't. A V10 firewall bypass, when overclocked once, can crack a V 13 firewall. The person with the v13 firewall put an extra 500 hours of research into that software, and it's basically useless after a slight hardware upgrade.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 12:13:14 AM »

Overload  makes it hard to defend so that's good enough for me. A higher player will almost never have need for an overload of a lower player, it's the other way around.

So higher up players need to research more defenses? That's good, they have the means to do it. Or maybe they have to change IP once in a while? That's doesn't bother anybody. Just keep in mind that you're not invulnerable and you should be fine.

Think of overload as a protection for lower players against higher players.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 12:39:26 AM »

Overload  makes it hard to defend so that's good enough for me. A higher player will almost never have need for an overload of a lower player, it's the other way around.

So higher up players need to research more defenses? That's good, they have the means to do it. Or maybe they have to change IP once in a while? That's doesn't bother anybody. Just keep in mind that you're not invulnerable and you should be fine.

Think of overload as a protection for lower players against higher players.

That's just it though.   Right now the only non-SGP person who has the capability to hack anyone is a top 10 player with a 40ghz CPU and 2gb+ of ram.   Overload makes it so that you DO NOT have to do research.    One of the guys in my group tested it out with some old software they had.  They took a .37 firewall bypass and were able to overload it over 10.0 without maxing out their system.

Add into that the fact that SGP publishes their min reqs for all to see and everyone is shooting their hardware up to those kinds of levels.   It makes research currently of protects and breaks useless.  Well I wouldn't say useless.   Password Break 3.002 is 2.55gb in size, uses 6004MHz and 375,250mb of ram.   So I will say the only semi useful research for protection is Password Protect.  Heck Scan Blocker is to resource heavy to take it above 2.0 for a top 10 player at this stage in the game.

I am not saying gimp Overload.  I am just saying that there should be a penalty to using it which there is not at this time.

Heck even a 1% chance per multiplier to have it do something bad would be nice.   As is right now there is zero way to lose your software if you are a gold player.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 12:56:33 AM »

I understand that virus man, it's just not a priority at this time because we need new players and overload helps them acquire secret servers without any high research investments.

It may be re-balanced in the future but for now it won't be changed because the top 10 think they can be hacked by the lower people. They will just have to deal with it and defend how they can.

Too many people depend on it.
I have to look out for the majority of the players, sorry.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:04:01 AM by siremi » Logged

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 01:28:06 AM »

I understand that virus man, it's just not a priority at this time because we need new players and overload helps them acquire secret servers without any high research investments.

It may be re-balanced in the future but for now it won't be changed because the top 10 think they can be hacked by the lower people. They will just have to deal with it and defend how they can.

Oh trust me SGP is not worried about being hacked.  I am enforcing the min reqs on all members including myself.  So that is not a problem.   My concern is how it will overall slow the progress of the lower 3/4's of active players.  Heck I found out tonight that someone is trying to say they are part of SGP.  SGP doesn't kill processes on missions unless the person is disinfecting one of our Virii.  So that is someone else in the lower 3/4's that is abusing the Overload to make us look bad as well as harass others.

But I see you are focusing on how it affects us.  The whole idea of the CAPs is to close up the gap which your AP idea now will widen but that is another thread and I will not go into it here as well.  Suffice to say without CAPs no one and/or group will catch up to us without spending massive HPDs on the software store.  And even then......  It will be a massive uphill battle for them.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

Scrixx123@hotmail.com ekam94 pet_shop123@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 04:28:56 AM »

Oh trust me SGP is not worried about being hacked.  I am enforcing the min reqs on all members including myself.  So that is not a problem.   My concern is how it will overall slow the progress of the lower 3/4's of active players.  Heck I found out tonight that someone is trying to say they are part of SGP.  SGP doesn't kill processes on missions unless the person is disinfecting one of our Virii.  So that is someone else in the lower 3/4's that is abusing the Overload to make us look bad as well as harass others.

But I see you are focusing on how it affects us.  The whole idea of the CAPs is to close up the gap which your AP idea now will widen but that is another thread and I will not go into it here as well.  Suffice to say without CAPs no one and/or group will catch up to us without spending massive HPDs on the software store.  And even then......  It will be a massive uphill battle for them.
When Ebolla meant put a cap.. I think he meant cap the software level and not limit the play time of players...

Hiya! I'm a friendly person, and I like to make new friends :]. I'm very helpful and kind, I keep searching for people who would be there for me and talk to me, and in return I will always be there for them. Let me know if you need anything and I will see what i can do.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 08:39:34 AM »

When I was talking about overloading I was meaning that maybe we can overload any file.

sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »

just like to point out:

I dont mind that we're not invulnerable.

I do mind that its piss easy to find out where your gateway is, on top of being not invulnerable.

I don't care that people can overload their software to break into my gateway. I do object to the fact i cannot stop my ip from being located with a single payment though o_O

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 04:37:31 PM »

just like to point out:

I dont mind that we're not invulnerable.

I do mind that its piss easy to find out where your gateway is, on top of being not invulnerable.

I don't care that people can overload their software to break into my gateway. I do object to the fact i cannot stop my ip from being located with a single payment though o_O

he has a point...........

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 09:09:21 PM »

I agree to, although im not the high players im in the top 30. People can EASILY find out my server IP and im weak compard to the one that are buying these IPs. I think buying IPs showed be stopped.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: