The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 18, 2024, 11:55:07 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Counterstrike Defenses  (Read 11636 times)
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »

chill out on both ends,
 and is that you survi2008????

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 11:44:50 AM »

Everyone, you don't need to defend me from Hatejacket. I've taken much worse, and lived. In fact, it usually makes my games better.

Hatejacket, you seem to think that games need to be original. I, however, see game creation/design as an Art as much as a science. And all art is derivative: it comes from somewhere. As far as I am concerned, the best way to learn about creating games short of trying is to play as many games as you can, and look at what you like, what you don't like, and everything in between. And you'd be surprised how few new ideas really come into gaming. I don't think I can count more than a dozen truly new ideas were introduced to gaming in my lifetime as a gamer (Since MtG).

1) This is just an idea, having been pulled from another game. I'm well aware it's going to need a lot of work.
I stopped reading the rest after "having been pulled from another game". Suggestions =/= Copying others work.

It's not about Copying. Well, unless you thing every strategy game ever made is a copy of chess; that every CCG is a copy of MtG; that every RPG is a copy of D&D; etc. They aren't (though some wish they were). But they do copy certain mechanics. C&C certainly isn't Warcraft.

It even happens in this game: take APs for example: a great balancing feature, but hardly original. Every Broswer-based game I've played either uses timers, AP, or resources to limit your actions. Good idea, but hardly new.

So no, suggestions =/= copying someone else. But I'm not suggesting copying either: I'm suggesting taking a mechanic from another game, and modifying it to fit into this game.

Specifically, that there be a kind of software that instead of simply slowing down or stopping a cracking attempt, it strikes back, making it more dangerous to randomly hack servers.

And you still haven't addressed that core request, and only the specific means of implementation I suggested. Do you want me to throw out all the trappings, and just suggest that? Because it doesn't matter to me, it's the core idea I'm suggesting.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
HJ®
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 06:41:07 PM »

Okay, you go ahead and try.

I'll sit back and laugh.
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 08:24:38 PM »

Okay, you go ahead and try.

I'll sit back and laugh.

Try what? to get this implemented?

I thought the suggestions board was for the people who play this game to discuss suggestions, and then, if they met whatever requirements Siremi has, they are implemented eventually. I'm looking for discussion, since, as I mentioned, I highly doubt that they have any chance of being implemented in their current form.

As far as I can tell, you're more interested in telling me how bad this idea is to even think about it. I've responded to every one of your critiques, and asked every time for some input from you: I am well aware you know this game much better than I do, and as such probably have more to offer than I do.

However, you have offered NOTHING to support this idea: only a bunch of reasons why it won't work, all of which could be corrected without much effort. If this were a playtest I was running, you would not be informed of the next one.

I appologize if anything in this post offends you. Frankly, I'm offended by the apparent lack of thought you have offered this idea. Please correct me if you have actually thought about this, and inform me as to what those thoughts are.

Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 11:57:28 PM »

Hey, hatejacket. You seem a little harsh here, maybe turn down the venom a little, huh? It seems like the idea made you mad; why's that?
HJ®
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 01:59:50 AM »

Because I'm sick of seeing ridiculous over the top suggestions that'll never be implemented.
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »

Okay, there are a lot of suggestions that'll just never happen (especially till we fix the issues we have), but occasionally there's an idea that actually works. I think it's worth it to have all the mediocre suggestions, as long as we get a couple of good ones, hmmm?
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 11:12:35 AM »

Since this thread appears to have turned into a flamefest, I'm closing it, and taking the core idea, and starting a new thread.

Hatejacket. As a game designer, I have learned two things about asking players of persistent games for suggestions:

Don't listen to the people who have been playing forever. They have too much to lose if things change.
Don't listen to newbies. They have too much to gain if things change.

Given you are in the first category, you aren't helping things by shooting down every idea that comes up. You might just kill the game.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: