The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 01, 2024, 04:53:55 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Software Deleter/Recovery Files, Disk Defragmenter  (Read 4307 times)
HJ®
« on: July 26, 2008, 05:53:29 AM »

Two quick little suggestions based on another suggestion on the forum and a touch of my own. Critique me, please.

Software Deleter

A software deleter allows you to delete software FASTER off of remotehost PCs. You do not need a software deleter to delete files off of your own gateway, and they are not required to delete software, but make deleting files faster with higher versions, and also permanently delete the file. It costs 20 AP to complete a software deletion with a software deleter. It only requires bandwidth when a delete process is active.

At 0.1, it would require 50MhZ CPU, 12.50MB HDD, 3MB Ram, and 1 KB Bw. It deletes files at 1.5x the regular speed.
at 0.5, it would require 250MhZ CPU, 62.50MB HDD, 15MB Ram, and 5 KB Bw. It deletes files at 7.5x the regular speed.
At 1.0, it would require 500MhZ, 312.50MB HDD, 75MB Ram, and 25 KB Bw. It deletes files at 37.5x the regular speed.

A software deleter also permanently deletes files, as it is it's own software designed to delete files more efficiently. It deletes faster via software version, and also with the usage of bandwidth (The deleter can connect directly to the remotehost without being uploaded, and also uses some resources from the internet to assist in the delete process. Higher level = stronger connection = faster delete) See below for more details.

Pros
- Not required to delete files.
- Increases speed of deleting files - which is at a ridiculous level for higher size files.
- Does not change anything about the delete process except the speed the files are deleted.
- Adds another use for AP (Optional?)
- Permanently deletes files, removing their ability to be UnDeleted

Cons
- Another software needed by newer players which may clog up their systems at first (although optional)
- Adds another use for AP (Optional?)
- Requires bandwidth
- My numbers may be unbalanced.

NOTE: Deleting owned files on your gateway should not permanently delete. Instead they delete and 5% of their HDD space remains on the HDD, allowing the file to be recovered. This allows players to hold larger, higher version files but deleted and stored for future use. This could also let a player hide a software from another player.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Software Recovery

Here's where you'd think the two programs are reflective of eachother. That is somewhat true, but in reality a Recovery file is useless against a Deleter. A Recovery file will however let you recover programs that have been deleted without a Software Deleter. It costs 50 AP to complete a software recovery. Software Recovery can not be done remotely.

A file deleted without a software deleter leaves 5% of it's size left on the HDD, so that people are aware that some files may be recovered.

At 0.1, it would require 150MhZ CPU, 100MB HDD, and 10MB Ram. You would be able to recover 0.1 files.

At 0.5, it would require 750MhZ CPU, 500MB HDD, and 50MB Ram. The Recovery process would be 5x faster than at 0.1. You would be able to recover +0.1-0.5 files.

At 1.0, it would require 3750MhZ CPU, 2.5GB HDD, and 250MB Ram. The Recovery process would be 5x faster than at 0.5. You would be able to recover +0.5-1.0 files.

Pros
- Gives all players a fair chance to recover software, not just Gold Members (And I am gold btw)
- Adds a new software that could be very handy
- Does not change anything about the delete process.
- Seems balanced for older players and newbies alike.

Cons
- Resource Heavy
- AP Costly
- My numbers may be unbalanced.
- Potentially allows a mass pvp attack of software to simply be recovered (Although gold status/other means already allow this, even faster in the gold status case.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My third suggestion is a simple Disk Defragmenter.

Costing 20 AP, in 3h Time, your HDD can be defragmented, which removes any deleted files that still have that 5% of space still lingering around in your HDD.

Pros
- Cleans your HDD without Formatting

Cons
- Costs AP?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:20:51 AM by Hatejacket » Logged
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »

hmm. only problem with this is that this gives the high-end players the advantage over the newbie players, which ircc was why delete times were universal across the board, so newbies had as much a chance to complete a mission as anyone.

My only critque of that theory is that newbies cant take the high end missions anyway due to being traced/stopped, but that again is countered by the new ap system...

dunno, im all in favour of this, but doesnt the golden ftp mean that gold members are invulnerable to this software anyway?

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »

Couple of thoughts: first off, I don't think deleter should go up in speed exponentially - nothing else in the game does. I also think it should be capped by the version of what it's deleting; this doesn't make any sense in real life, but it does in game. Deleting a v.2 file with a v5 deleter would be instant, or close to it. For deletes to be (somewhat) fair, the target should have at least a small chance of stopping it. A formula similar to ap cost for installing virii could be used. Max deleter version = target file version + target file size / 10000 (.1*gigs)
Vintermark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »

Think the delter seems very powerfull at higher versions, should be nerfed a bit, that it cant reduce the time taken more than 50%.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »

Deleting files is hard to balance effectively when you set it to be realistic.

Windows takes forever to delete files compared to Linux.  Only reason really I still use Windows is because some apps I use only work in Windows like Joost.  Now granted most of the games work under Linux with some tinkering now but some still have bugs under linux.

hrmmm  this gives me an idea.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
HJ®
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »

Yeah, I just pretty much randomly came up with the numbers to give an idea as to what each program would do.
ApolloCV

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »

I agree as wel, I'm still a newbie but I'm starting to learn the game.
The thing I hate most is the deleting time. It takes 54 minutes to delete a file of 580 mb (of my own HDD)
I don't think this is realistic.

Or it has to be faster Or there has to be such software as suggested.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: