The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 09:13:17 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Forum Rule addition  (Read 3369 times)
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »

From me and the other members who have taken it on themselves to respond to the suggestions:

Can there be a rule that requires some minimum of thought on an idea before it's posted. Some examples that I do not feel that minimum:

Would be great if you could post missions on your own servers for others to obtain and execute.
Official Groups would be awsome so that it is easily managable.
How about if blocker would also log all scan attempts?

As a game developer myself, I would have to spend some time thinking about how to implement each of those things. I think that it should be our responsibility, as players who want something implemented, to do the work to make it as easy on Siremi as possible (Except for SGP, who I am quite happy at their attempts to make Siremi's life as hard as possible by showing him just how broken this game is).

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »

I like this suggestion - there is a difference between an implementable suggestion and a vague wish... the examples above are vague wishes rather than implementable suggestions... (not saying that a suggestion should include all the details needed for implementation but there should be at least enough within it to allow for discussion of options)

coffee1
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »

But frequently, it is the discussions about those vague wishes that become implementable suggestions. I don't think they should be outlawed; they're useful, just not as useful as a full-fledged suggestion.
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:13:27 PM »

Raistlin: While I agree that some of the best ideas come from those vague "Wouldn't it be nice if..." ideas, some of the worst ideas come from there too.

As I see it, if an idea isn't good enough to have the person who thought it up to at least put some thought into how it would work, it's probably not good enough to be implemented.

The one exception to this that I have ever seen is when a playtest leader asks for those vague ideas; and even then, most of them get thrown out. It's the one that gets people talking AND THINKING that is the idea that stays.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Moen Co.

F5!

ragewithmycheese
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »

Raistlin: While I agree that some of the best ideas come from those vague "Wouldn't it be nice if..." ideas, some of the worst ideas come from there too.

As I see it, if an idea isn't good enough to have the person who thought it up to at least put some thought into how it would work, it's probably not good enough to be implemented.

The one exception to this that I have ever seen is when a playtest leader asks for those vague ideas; and even then, most of them get thrown out. It's the one that gets people talking AND THINKING that is the idea that stays.

So if some good ideas come from those vague-ish ideas, why implement a forum rule that makes that exception to the rule impossible? Ask yourself, what happens to those terrible, vague, two-line suggestions? They get ignored/receive one two replies quickly shooting it down.

Also, I feel like a decent portion of the player base do not speak/write English as fluently as the majority here. There's no discrimination between not explaining a new suggestion and not being able to explain a new suggestion well due to lack of English skills.

Retired. Best Finish: #4 (Should've been #3)
HJ®
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »

This is also something we could implement and monitor ourselves. Watch.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: