The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 07:41:51 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: DDoS attacks  (Read 24091 times)
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 10:45:37 PM »

Would make more sense if, instead of the target losing their income from virii, it stopped the server's cash... so you'd target for example all of the public servers, and all of the newbies would get screwed because suddenly their server makes nothing. 1 As the target losing income doesn't make sense because it's not a continual collection... they just have their BW sometimes shifted.

As well, there needs to be a counter... scan blocker, maybe? Or firewall... a good firewall will stop a DDoS attack by black-holing the attacking servers... Happened when I had a few thousand servers running a DDoS against me in university a decade ago or so. Note... try not to annoy people who have large quantities of RL servers compromised. ;)

And yeah... BW is more in the range of being even with the total number of players HP has seen than the 600 range...
noob school

slave_hack@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 10:49:53 PM »

im not exactly sure the differnce between DoS and DDoS,but isnt a DDoS attack where u use zombie servers and DoS is where u ping a computer a certain way untill the internet gets really slow?
and if im right,wut ur talking about is a DDoS attack.
an what i was thinking is lets say some 1 up-loads 1 DDoS bot to 5 newbish servers with the average hardware of lets say 650 Mhz,32768 Kb,5 Kbs Bandwidth.each slave will take about 5 mins,so a minimal attacak would take 25mins and lets say:
5 slave attack=cpu speed lost
7 slave attack=kb lost
10 slave attack=band lost
and the ammount of  mhz,kb's,or BW will varry on the slaves hardware and the targets firewall lvl.

u can do anything once u have nothing
Player

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 12:42:38 AM »

Well, i think it works much better as percentage based rather than linear based. So perhaps each DDoS server reduces the target BW by a percentage; maybe each DDos server takes 3 % of the targets remaining BW.  So BW damage = 1-(0.97)^ # of DDos virii.

Edit - oh, I forgoct to mention, the requirements for the DDos virii should be pretty high, so its going to take a team of dedicated hackers  together to damage 1 person. I suggest the DDos servers need at least 100 BW and will lose 10% BW for each attack, and the virus is used up after each attack.

Then again, theres already a few softwares thats similiar to this, the malware viruses. So I am not really sure what this will bring to the game.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:56:15 AM by Player » Logged

Doomsday is Coming! Run for It!
noob school

slave_hack@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »

i think it might be good for the game ,though i am not sure if most players would approve.after all u wouldnt wanna make an update that most players,or even less than half the players dont like.if sir emi actually takes this into consideration he should make a poll.

RavenXP

rgongora2002@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 12:59:38 AM »

Unless he wants the game to be played just like this...

Crack Server -> Install Virus -> Gain Income -> Disinfect Virus -> Research New Virus -> Find New Server... -> Crack Server...

That would be boring isn't it?

DDoS is just Distributed DoS. More servers involved but the purpose is just the same.

It makes no sense if the Firewall can just block the attack because in reality firewalls can't handle DDoS unless it blocks the request of all incoming requests which would mean that it would block valid HTTP requests.
noob school

slave_hack@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 01:03:09 AM »

but every thing in this game isnt accurate in real life is it?
a fire wall can weakin the attack.and iv only sent a few DoS and DDoS attacks irl,but it was to my own box.
and i had my friend helping me so i dont compleatly f%$@ up my box.

Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:15 AM »

The firewall maybe does block everything. Eveything going through the firewall comes from someone with admin (which also can be someone who have cracked the admin). Nothing else have penetrated the firewall this far.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:59 AM »

First, DoS means denial of service... DDoS is a distributed denial of service... a large quantity of computers working together to cause a denial of service attack. 1 As such, being able to burn off 3% of a server through a single server isn't realistic... an actual DDoS attack involves hundreds, if not thousands of servers... minimum. 1

Second, any negative to the target should be removed from the running server as well. So you're not going to be able to burn off 3% of their BW unless the server can do the same... Else this would be even more abused then it would be by me if it's implemented as suggested. Because hey, if I can make every newbie unable to make a credit besides fighting for missions, why not! >:]

And that's part of how things work... if you can code your router and those, depending on how low you're getting in the protocol stack... Your firewall if actually decent should be able to just toss out any of those ports and protocols, leaving all your good traffic to remain...
noob school

slave_hack@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 01:13:08 AM »

my friend helped me write a script sorta thing for command prompt,it had my domian name and how manny byts 2 ping it with,and the -t command.and it made my internet go on and off.then he helped me infect his computers with a virus and he used his computers as zombie servers to attack my box,and that really f**ked me up.but of course i had 2 turn my firewall off because it closed the port that the attack was comeing through.

Player

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 01:15:45 AM »

Well if you think about it, the miniment requirement for DDos is 100 BW, and you ll lose 10 at least. So you ll net even when your target has 333 BW or more.  Now that you mention the single server thing, that reminds me, perhaps you need 10 servers to start a DDoS attack, so you have the potential to lose much more than your target. Also, the same target can only be DDoS once per week, so they dont get bombarded by DDoS.

Doomsday is Coming! Run for It!
noob school

slave_hack@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 01:28:47 AM »

that or make a minnimum hardware lvl

rokalth

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 01:29:51 AM »

Distributed dos attack is launched with Botnet. Largest botnet found this far has contain 1.5 million computers and theres no other limit than the size of the internet in it.

Botnet attack can be used in many ways. HTTP requests, email spam or more efficient ways which all are covered up in wikipages allover. I have seen closely 10K-20K botnet attack to a email server, sending a lot of spam email. Its impossible for firewall to block all ips because they come from different areas and you can not thus block ranges. So, you need to block them one by one but firewall which tries to check 10K config file for every requests slows server down, all emails are stored in huge queues which after some point are difficult to operate, remember that you get hunderds of messages from all over world every second.

In hp, my suggestion is something like this:
1) botnet virii is small and easy to install / uninstall
2) hacker may install the virii to any server and use it later ( thus his ip is safe )
3) hacker / hackers may remotely use those servers for flooding target
4) target loses band/cpu and mem and maybe connection to own virii etc.
5) target may start to uninstall virii of the remote machines but his own machine cpu/mem/band is near 100%
6) botnet will weaken if single servers are cleared

noob school

slave_hack@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 01:45:37 AM »

wow,that sounds good.but to make sure people arnt asses about DDoSing,every server the that is infected with the DDoS virus will have a log look at this example->"[1.1.1.1] launched DDoS attack via [localhost] to 127.0.1."
and once the attack hits the target this should appear in the targets log "[localhost] has recived mass DDoS attack from [*zombie servers ip here*] hardware has been dameged".

sorry about the spelling.

Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 02:03:17 AM »

Not the way that virii work here... maybe that's the way you've seen it work on other games, but here, the "official" virus IP is whatever IP was connected to for the activation process beginning... whether that's your actual or if you bounced it. As such, anyone with the ability to bounce more than, well, zero times will be hidden by this.

As well, I'm not talking about people who have 333 bw. I'm talking about people with 3000. Or 7000. Or more. And yes, there are multiple people with these and higher already... as such, having your 10 bw computer somehow magically take up 90 bw or 210 bw makes no sense at all... your system can't use up more bw than it's producing... And with this, all you have to do to avoid this is have another server that you use for virus collections. Bam, no DDoS against that server, no limitation of your income, and someone wasted a lot of time.

Except for when I kill all the public servers. Looking forwards to that part of it. 1 Just for fun and because hey, when newbies suggest these things, that's cause they want us to do them, right?
noob school

slave_hack@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 02:08:09 AM »

lmao =]
and i think when ddosing a public server,instead of it loseing hardware it should go down for an amount of time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to: