The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 19, 2024, 06:43:40 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Poll
Question: Do you want revelations day to happen?
Yes
No
Other

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I suggest that Revelation is totally skipped.  (Read 5373 times)
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »

Suggestion: To skip everything with the revelation. Ive also added a poll so you can see how many people wanting the revelation to be skipped or not.

Players most positively affected by this update (Virii Infectors, Newbies, Etc): All.

List THREE reasons why these types of players would be positively affected by this update:
1: They will keep their progress in this game
2: They will keep real earned money in the game which some would magically disapear without anyone knowing this when they donated.
3:They (the majority) wont feel betrayed by Emi.

Players most negatively affected by this update (Virii Infectors, Newbies, Etc): Newbies

List one reasons why these types of players would be negatively affected by this update:
1: They will have to work hard to get up on a high level.

List as many reasons you can as to why this suggestion should be implemented (Minimum of 2):
1: Many people really doesnt want the revelation day to happen.
2: It would make many people happy since Emi finally have started to listen to the majority of the players.
3: It would be possible to have this world to be a testing world for upcoming worlds.
4: It would be possible to have this world persistent while others can be round based.
5: Nobody was given the expession of this server to be nonpersistent.
6: Several people will quit if a reset occures.
7: Some people considers quiting just because a reset is possible even though it might never happen.
8: To keep the experient players which would come with the best suggestions who will leave in soon.
9: To make several people who are pissed of at the moment to calm down and even maybe start to enjoy this game again.

List as many reasons you can as to why this suggestion should NOT be implemented:
1: Newbies will have it easier in the game. Is there any other reasons? And the newbies wont get it much easier, the more experient players would get in to the top ten pretty soon.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »

I also want to add that people allready starting to research faith would need to get their HPD back if this happens.

ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »

rock rock rock

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »

I just dont like the idea of revalation. All it is is a reset of everone. What world of warcraft reset. They would lose 16 millon players thats wat.

Exousia
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 02:50:51 AM »

As a noob, I quickly found that I could search around and find a few tips and software libraries to work with sponsored by veterans (such as SGP) which I could use to infect a few public servers to bring in some income and build up. It gave me that warm fuzzy feeling to push the button and purchase another server for the first time. The veterans are busy hunting down and claiming secret servers I can't even get to and leaving me pretty much alone on the public ones. Woe be to the noob who disinfects their virii, but few have the software to handle that anyway. My biggest worry is not the vets but the other noobs out there. Anyone who bothers to look around the forums can find hints and tips as well as warnings about whose virii to stay away from. I've had a pretty steady income since I started, with a few hiccups, and was able to recover and play on.

The central thesis of Sir Emi's counter argument to the anti-Revelation movement is that everyone will start at an even playing field.

What happens on this "even playing field?" Everyone is scrambling for limited resources, all with relatively the same software. Competition is hot and aggressive. The veterans have the advantage as they know where to put their cash and how to optimize their income and they're not likely to hand out software and tips to the noobs who aren't really that far behind them. This "even playing field" isn't even at all.

At the same time, though, look at the fervor the threat of Revelation has brought to the game. At least there's a counter to it in Faith. It's not an absolute round limit as exists in a lot of games I've played. Revelation may never come. Then again, someone may try to bring it to pass. Are they going to go unchallenged? I don't think so. SGP has made abundantly clear their intention to prevent Revelation.

Granted, I voted against Revelation in the pole because I'm uncertain of a lot of things, as a noob, but I can also see quite a few disadvantages already to this "fresh start" on an already established server as a former programmer/designer. Perhaps this is not such a bad idea for the game concept, but it is a very bad idea for this already established server. All the gripe about "we never signed on for this" versus "it's a possibility according to the ToS you agreed to" is really beside the point IMHO.

Assuming it is possible, perhaps it would be better suggested to skip Revelation on this server as is being suggested by Arthur Dent and start a new server which has it implemented. Use this one as a persistent world, call it "Alpha" for example, and create a "Beta" which has Revelation as a possible outcome. Alpha could easily become a testing ground as well, as it will have more advanced players who can and seem very eager to play with the game's capabilities and test its limits. Meanwhile, the Beta server is the end result which resets occasionally or maybe never depending on what new groups are formed pro-Revelation and anti-Revelation. There would have to be a change in the donation rewards since Alpha's resources would permanent and Beta's would be fleeting--a boost to the HPD or AP granted Beta players who donate so they don't feel robbed, or as robbed anyway, when Revelation Day comes.

Just some thoughts. Feel free to flame or add or whatever.
Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 03:06:42 AM »

I wont flame you about this. Its a pretty good point you got there. I might have an objection to a line there but you really got what I want to say. Unfortunatly Emi have never replied to me. Not even taking it into consideration (as far as I know because he doesnt reply).

Exousia
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:26:26 AM »

I wont flame you about this. Its a pretty good point you got there. I might have an objection to a line there but you really got what I want to say. Unfortunatly Emi have never replied to me. Not even taking it into consideration (as far as I know because he doesnt reply).

Well, objecting to a line or two is fine. I prefer it when people don't always agree with me. Keeps me on my toes. I'm still relatively new so I may not have every fact right at the moment. More time in the game and more time searching the forums will fix that, though. ;)

The way some people are working hard to prevent Revelation Day, it may not happen for a long long time, if it does. I just about wet myself when the Revelation update came out so recently after I started, though.

Emi may be trying to account for the idea that the server will eventually fill up, but the 256x256x256x256 = 4,294,967,296 possible IP addresses will not fill up terribly quickly at this rate and if it does, perhaps a major update will be required which includes a new IP address system or he'll have the funds to open new servers. Strict limits on inactivity will also help with that problem, though.

<shrug> Hard to tell.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »

I will say this much.  If Sir Emi were to start a new server that is round based and leave this one persistant then I would fully support that endeavor.   Heck I would even start up SGP on the new round based server to bring newer players into the game and teach them.  But only if this server is left as it was insinuated at by Sir Emi.  And that is Persistant.

The major problem though is that the ToS was changed after the first group started playing.  It was never stated in the ToS that this current world would be round based.

And because of that I feel like I have been slighted which is why even though I am working on a spreadsheet tool, in Excel 7 fyi, I will not donate to the game anymore.  I donated only because this world was suppose to be permanent.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Exousia
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »

Oh, you mean this stuff I found on another thread? ...

1 - there is also a post where siremi stated what i said earlier

quotes or it didn't happen. a link is fine too.

On another note, now that I read the quote, technically (and I do mean TECHNICALLY) Emi never says that this is the persistent server nor says that this is not the round server. Only because resets were never officially 100% announced everyone assumed that this was the persistent world. Just my 2c.

There was a mention about rounds in the Terms of Service that every player accepted prior to making an account with HP.

http://www.hacker-project.com/terms.html

(III) You can also support The Hacker Project by donating. Donations are non-refundable.
Rewarding for donations is at the sole discretion of The Hacker Project team, and you have no warranty that a donation to The Hacker Project will bring you anything, donations are simply to support the costs for maintaining and running the game. We encourage you to test the automated system first, if you intend on using it, with a very small amount. The exchange rate for the rewards system will increase with the progress of the round, and before a round ends it will be at a maximum due of the imminent round reset. Any problems with the system can be addressed to the ingame support account, and we will do everything in our power to resolve your issue.    

(IV) All information submitted in the register process are exclusively for sending your account information, new round details and occasional updates information, and will remain private. It is your responsibility to keep your account safe. All password data is encrypted. The Hacker Project is not responsible for any un-authorized access to your account, we provide logs that you can use to track your account actions. If you notice anything unusual in your game account logs, please report them to the ingame support account. All information about donations and Gold Accounts is private and will not be released under any circumstances. You can only ask questions about your own donation, and are limited to asking about donation expected processing date, clearing date and problems during processing.

Call me crazy, but, to me, that doesn't say that the game is round based so much as potentially so. I'm assuming here that the above is taken from the "current" ToS rather than the "previous" one to which you are referring, Virus Man. Maybe I should say this on the other thread as well.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: