The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 18, 2024, 06:37:28 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Revelation Disinfections  (Read 4170 times)
Theraze

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:57:05 PM »

My proposal is that disinfecting a Revelation virus should trigger the virus on the computer on which it was installed. As such, it should be destroyed... and the server should be completely removed. This should make protecting your server much more important when triggering this, as well as making it more of a group event (planning involved) rather than just something that happens more randomly.
DamascuS

準備戰爭

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:55:11 PM »

On what walk of thought did you come up with that ridiculous idea!? There are already at least 2000 newbies complaining there isnt enough servers for them to infect, just imagine the uproar...

This idea =  laugh

Edit: spelling (i meant 'infect' not 'disinfect')
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:30:00 AM by DamascuS » Logged

Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »

You ARE aware of the Hardware requirements to run a Revelation virus, right? Reminder:
- Usage V 0.1: 10,000 CPU, 600,000 Kb Memory, 400 kbs Bandwidth, 20 Gb HDD

Let me restate those without some of those 0s, as well as with actual bits:
- Usage V 0.1: 10 gigahertz CPU, 600 megabytes Memory, 400 kbs Bandwidth, 20 Gb HDD

With those requirements, you won't actually spawn a server with 400kb Bandwidth for virii until you pass version 1.75... Most of these will likely be installed on private servers.

An easy alternate suggestion would be to make that instead of completely removing it, the server goes to base (newbie) levels. So even if before the server was a 1.8 SS with 405kb bandwidth, if you try to turn it into part of the Revelation destruction (and fail, remember that part), it goes to the player newbie levels of 5kb bandwidth, 550 mhz cpu, and all the rest of it...

It's still useful as a delete/download site, but becomes useless as a virus site, until after the next Revelation. This also has the benefit that even the players who are initially against Revelation may want it to trigger eventually, to refresh those servers that have been made useless. ;)

The issue is, what benefit does any player currently who wants to cause Revelation have? To do it, you really have to be someone big enough to not want to wipe the game...

As well, what does it cost to try to trigger it? Currently, if you fail, the only negative is that you have to trigger the change IP job and download/try again. If your crackers are sufficient, you can keep your files all safe and untouchable... Takes a decent amount to do that, sure, but if you fail, no loss... just try again in 30 minutes when you'd grabbed the file again. -_-

Making it so that failure actually affects things would make that with time, there would actually be reason why normal players would WANT this, instead of now, when all the players are still very against. 1
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:28:03 PM by Theraze » Logged
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »

On what walk of thought did you come up with that ridiculous idea!? There are already at least 2000 newbies complaining there isnt enough servers for them to infect, just imagine the uproar...

This idea =  laugh

Edit: spelling (i meant 'infect' not 'disinfect')

Emm... that's not a spelling thing. That IS a typo, but you spelled both properly. You just completely changed which side of the virus equation you were complaining about.

Regardless, the newbies aren't the ones trying to load up v10 FS virii. They don't need a Revelation-sized server.

The reason the newbies complain about not having enough servers is because they keep wandering the public servers and don't realize that there are hundreds and hundreds of secret servers just waiting for them to find them. -_- Once they find a secret server that HASN'T been claimed by a group yet, of which there are many, they're basically set for virus space for weeks/months. Until they aren't newbies anymore. 1
Tiak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 11:30:05 PM »

You ARE aware of the Hardware requirements to run a Revelation virus, right? Reminder:
With those requirements, you won't actually spawn a server with 400kb Bandwidth for virii until you pass version 1.75..
You ARE aware that there has been a v1.76 server since last Thursday or so, right?...  In the coming weeks, it seems likely that we'll see quite a few higher than that.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 12:23:32 AM »

The issue is, what benefit does any player currently who wants to cause Revelation have? To do it, you really have to be someone big enough to not want to wipe the game...

I can think of one benefit one would have when installing Rev.

You can see when the disinfect is going to be completed and let the timer run until the last hour. Before the disinfect is completed on the Rev virus, run the remote overload function from Software on some big player gateway => 10+ hours of remote overload bomb would damage and seriously hurt some of the big player gateways and would make some people very angry. The bigger the gateway, the more HPD damage it would cause...

Downside is you need a host to run that stuff and free resources to activate the Rev. You could do it on a dedicated owned platform but you would need to dedicate all the resources for that and actively defend it... that's an investment on it's own.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:26:33 AM by siremi » Logged

Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »

So basically, it overloads if you're the one who owns it... but if you're the person disinfecting the server, there's no negatives to the server cleaned up. It's still ready and willing to take another virus immediately, and all it takes is another ~2 hours for the upload and then waiting through the activation time.

And yes, I know that there are SS above 1.8 now. The point was that even if SS do get damaged, having their stats get lowered would encourage people to eventually run Revelation... and by that I don't mean to do the Russian Roulette "I think I can overload a server and kill it before we hit 10" that won't be appealing to most players, but the "Let's blow away the whole world and start over" that Sir Emi keeps trying to push us towards. 1
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: