The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 25, 2024, 08:29:56 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: True Light Operating Systems (Culmination of many fresh suggestions - dont bash)  (Read 14486 times)
J.GreenThumb

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »

... That is what we are trying to achieve with the FU (faith union). We can prolong it for quite a while.

Ebolla>   Ebolla: No problem. Replied
   <JGreenThumb>   Ebolla: You Ebolla:'ed :P
gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 07:38:21 PM »

I thought the FU was all about installing the rev virus....

Exousia
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 08:02:08 PM »

To truly defeat an enemy, you must know how it ticks.
HJ®
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 08:08:07 PM »

gs 059 = /FAIL

Please keep the topic ON TOPIC.

Siremi, would you like to comment?
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 09:47:41 PM »

The ideas are great, customization is my expertise so it could be implemented.

What you need to work on is how this will balance all of it and to allow as little abuse as possible.

Now if the patches / upgrades to this OS have an expiration time of 1 week for non-Gold and 2 weeks for Gold, combined with each patch adding up to the version of the OS up to a limit of V 10 for non-Gold and V 20 for Gold, we may have something here...

Then comes the part of defining and balancing those upgrades / patches, maybe combining bonuses and stuff and maybe the patches are composed of parts of programs that you get from missions and then you combine those programs to make the custom patches:

e.g. for a +10% transfer rate patch you need:
- 100 logical algorithm
- 20 compare function
- 25 for statements
- 5 recursive function

All in all great ideas, keep them coming 1

HJ®
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 01:07:23 PM »

The ideas are great, customization is my expertise so it could be implemented.

What you need to work on is how this will balance all of it and to allow as little abuse as possible.

Now if the patches / upgrades to this OS have an expiration time of 1 week for non-Gold and 2 weeks for Gold, combined with each patch adding up to the version of the OS up to a limit of V 10 for non-Gold and V 20 for Gold, we may have something here...

Then comes the part of defining and balancing those upgrades / patches, maybe combining bonuses and stuff and maybe the patches are composed of parts of programs that you get from missions and then you combine those programs to make the custom patches:

e.g. for a +10% transfer rate patch you need:
- 100 logical algorithm
- 20 compare function
- 25 for statements
- 5 recursive function

All in all great ideas, keep them coming 1

That's taking this idea to the next level. Each patch has different versions, and the OS (Or multiple OS's, if using different ones from different mega-corps, which someone else suggested) has a cap on the maximum version of ALL patches, combined, that'd be great.

More "Elite" patches would obviously take up more of your OS Space, but the customization still has endless possibilities.

If anything comes out of this idea, I'd love to see patches at least.
Cherono San

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 06:01:12 PM »

These are my ideas based on all other ideas:
The OS dont expire after 168 hours, it run as long as no one try to shut it down using.
Therefor it cannot be killed like any other proccess.
To prevent abuse it would be protected by password that the owner of the server select.
It means that you need to get the password before you can shut down someone else server.
Shutting down remotly take 2 hours, local shut down take 1 hour.
Then the timer finish the server will attempt to complete all the tasks it have, if it cant it will kill the task.
Activating server take 1 hour regardless to if its local or remote.

Then the OS is active you can set files to read only, again using password, the limit is 10 files for non-gold players and 30 files for gold players, limited per server owned.
You can buy the passwords at the dealer... only that you can only buy for private server that are in you IP DB and you'll have to guss to who the password belong. or another option is that you'll know the IP but you'll have to wait some time befor hacking.

If your server's OS was remotly activated you will have to shut it down and restart it before you can use it, this to prevent people to use it for abuse of free stuff for zero work. {but i like this idea ^_^ }

only the server woner can change the passwords.

On the IP DB an offline server will be shown as SO {Shut Off}

Then a server is SO it would be easy to hack it because no protection is activated BUT... its useless because you cant access any file unless the OS is working.
Another point here: then remotly activating OS it will do this:
attempt to activate the highest verision of:
Firewall protect
Password protect
Scan blocker
IP cloaker
Auto gateway password change
Now you will have to hack the server again ^_^"

The size of the OS is 1GB
the same with the  /root/OS/os.sock

if i have more ideas i will edit this post

hope you like it

Sharp sowrd, short temper
any questions?
Exousia
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 07:07:12 PM »

Just had a thought along these lines. (This wouldn't exclude any of the ideas in this thread and will even supplement them.)

One of the biggest debates going on these days is the discrepancy between veterans and newbies. There is also the PvP issues.

What if we took this Operating System concept and expanded it into the realm of player "levels?" In other words, you upgrade to a different operating system when you reach a certain development level. The new OS speeds things up, but it is incompatible with your old OS, rendering any actions against those of a lower "level" futile. You can still crack, log into, and transfer files between any platform, thereby you can help out those of a lower "level" than you are.

The incentive to upgrade would be faster run and delete times and access to higher program version levels and, perhaps, some software would only be available on certain operating systems. You would be able to break into stronger NPC servers and take missions with greater rewards rather than the current system which seems to punish new players more and more as the game ages and the version requirements increase while the payouts remain relatively flat.

The disadvantage would be that you would be exposed to attacks from players and the missions would be harder.

Let me explain by example.

A simplified version of this would use, let's say, three operating systems which we will call Slimeware OS, Medianware OS, and Eliteware OS.

As a new player you get Slimeware installed on your system for free. This gives you all the basics and you can perform delete and small disinfect missions but you do not have the ability to run things like Malware, Spyware, Fileshare, Robber Baron, Revelation and their related Anti-virus version or Decrypt/Encrypt. You also cannot be part of a faction. You can attack other players who have Slimeware OS installed and can research and run up to V5.0 software. You can, in theory, download and hold versions greater than v5.0 and even hold the unusable programs on your HDD, but you cannot run them. Activating Malware on a remotehost would not work either as the target would either be running Slimeware or would be a higher OS which you cannot interact with and would probably have protects higher than you can crack. Slimeware cannot overload either, and Medianware servers would start out at v5.0 protects.

This would grant newbies and learners an increased level of protection from abusive players of higher level and experience. They could be hacked by these guys but that's all they could really do. You'd only need fear another Slimeware user who can only infect you with adware, kill your tasks, delete or hide your files. Nothing really all that major, especially if they are Gold members and have that FTP server to back things up on. Conversely, they could still be assisted by higher level players because they can still transfer files to and from other OS types.

Now, the player has maxed out their protects and is looking for a greater challenge. They've heard about the advantages of faction membership from their fellow group members, some of which have already moved on to a new OS. They are bored of delete missions and marginal returns from Adware virii. What do they have to do? It's simple, really, upgrading to the new operating system would require that one crack a maxed out faction public server of a new type. This may even be done through the software dealer. The amount of time would be minimal, say an hour per owned server. We'll call these upgrade servers Portal Servers for the purposes of this example. The player must reach a certain power ranking appropriate for their new level and then upgrade their servers through a portal server or the software dealer. This process would cost a bit of cash and AP, but the benefits would be worth it.

The player is now running Medianware OS. This allows access to faction membership, faction missions, Fileshare, Spyware, Encrypt/Decrypt, and a host of new public and secret servers to find and crack. They can now research and run programs up to v20.0 so they can still use all the software they had accumulated under Slimeware (software backwards compatibility) but they cannot cause any harm to Slimeware servers (incompatible file systems, like FAT and NTFS).

They are still protected from the highest echelons of players and can help newbies but they can now play freely among players of approximately equal caliber and enjoy gaining faction skills and faction standing as well as higher payouts from delete and disinfect missions of a higher caliber (larger delete files and virii disinfects) but can start customizing their OS to a certain extent, improving their delete times within a certain range and other things listed in this thread.

This keeps the playing field level while allowing us to delete that v3.5 Encryptor in 4 hours instead of 40, for example. (Numbers obviously not so scale!)

When they get bored of running Medianware, they can find another Portal Server (or go to the software dealer) and gain an upgrade to Eliteware OS. This would take a bit longer, say 2 hours per owned server. The countdown would take place either in the account page and/or on the server run processes page, so they know how much longer they need to wait.

The player now has access to the full spectrum of software and capabilities. They can also become the target of Malware and Revelation attacks! They can use Robber Baron virii to maximize their income while completing only the hardest and best paying missions, gaining more standing as well, so they can afford the occasional malware strike eating away at their hardware.

What do you all think?

Obviously, there is room for improvement and tweaking and I'd like to see at least six actual operating systems if this were implemented but it would probably take quite a bit of retooling of the game engine.

We would want to keep Gold membership out of the requirements for higher level OSes for fairness sake, but there could be a special Gold Eliteware OS, for example, which could be an option only to Gold members which would be functionally the same within the game mechanics but it would allow some visual customization such as colored text in the server descriptions and other basically benign but interesting incentives. A lateral upgrade from standard to Gold Eliteware would not take much time or resources as they are essentially the same.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:13:36 PM by Exousia » Logged
Cherono San

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 04:39:36 AM »

I think its good but one question
what if someone have 3 server with different OS?
could he have access to attack everyone? noobs and veteran alike?
it could allow to abusive players { like the one who dont leave me alone ever since i started playing } to keep dameging others and destroying the will of playing HP

Sharp sowrd, short temper
any questions?
Exousia
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 04:46:25 AM »

I think its good but one question
what if someone have 3 server with different OS?
could he have access to attack everyone? noobs and veteran alike?
it could allow to abusive players { like the one who dont leave me alone ever since i started playing } to keep dameging others and destroying the will of playing HP

I'm actually thinking that the upgrade effects all servers--your whole personal intranet, hardware and software--hence the 1 hour or 2 hours per owned server. There is no owning 3 servers with different OS. You upgrade all of them or none of them.

Also, there is no going back. Once the upgrade is made, you're stuck. No downgrading to harass lower rank players.

Besides, even if you could have 3 servers with different OS, you would still have to abide by the restrictions of the one currently serving as your active gateway. Go ahead, switch down to a Slimeware OS gateway, lower payout missions and the software cap still apply. You've done nothing but handicap yourself.

Also, who's harassing you? I could maybe amuse myself by tracking them and harassing them in return....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:51:21 AM by Exousia » Logged
Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 06:13:07 AM »

@ex -  thumbsup update thumbsup
Exousia
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 06:27:59 AM »

@ex -  thumbsup update thumbsup

More support like this and I'm moving this to a new thread and/or emailing Emi about it.
J.GreenThumb

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 08:16:33 AM »

Wow, it's a year old and still has steam. If that doesn't say something... well I don't know what is. There has been a lot of development in PvP lately and this would just kick it up another notch. I'd say give this one a go.

Ebolla>   Ebolla: No problem. Replied
   <JGreenThumb>   Ebolla: You Ebolla:'ed :P
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »

This sounds very interesting.  I like the idea of leveled players.  It would allow the newbies more of a gradual approach to game pvp and learning when they only have to worry about a couple of things instead of the whole world being presented to them after upping their bandwidth to 11  laugh

I like the idea of tying it to factions missions as well.  They would have to complete a certain number of missions of each type (we need more missions types BTW  shifty)  before they can advance to the next level...  Requirements to advance should be something that has to be worked towards, not something that could be completed in a week of hard play.

Exousia
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 03:34:47 PM »

I'm working on some details as far as hardware limits and an idea I call "patching" which allows each server to have an individual specialty like deleting, researching, AP saving, etc. At the moment I have four "levels" I'm working with in spite of what I said earlier about wanting at least six. I have to give credit to all the others who have added suggestions about operating systems and specialties and etc. but I think this conglomerated idea will please most and offer an acceptable solution to a lot of our problems. I hope to present it to the public soon in its own thread, but I have experienced some issues of late which may involve a tree falling on my drop lines after the recent storm in California so I have no power, telephone, or cable. I'm actually typing this on a library machine right now. First time in my life I've used a public comptuer.  laugh
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: