The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 18, 2024, 05:18:53 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Botnetting and Mainframing  (Read 3747 times)
Adramalech

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »

I've got a suggestion, it's raw, just thought it up two horus ago, so it needs a lot of tweaking and extra material added,

first one, botnetting, is proabably already thought of once,
it's simple, more like a question, a prog that 'steals' cpu and memory, (the costs to run the process)
and some bandwidth to communciate with the host,
as is said proabably suggested already, but why was it (probably) rejected?

second, more interesting, less complete, more possibilities.

mainframing (word prob. doesn't exist).
my idea:
it's a server, (special infrastructure, costs more.) with a special menu, wher you van type in ip's. (read on)
- you can buy normal (?) hardware for it, this is going to be a real powerfull server.
- requires high bandwidth, why? read on.

the whole idea of the mainframe is, that people have a program running, like a botnet program.
when the mainserver owner selects your ip, it checks if you have that prog running, if yes, the specs from the prog  will be added as a bonus to the specs of the server (looks like: "10000(+1000) Mhz" ("<original>(<bonus>)"
the frameprogram costs 1000 Mhz cpu to run on the other server here, so specs of the program is the bonus of the mainframeserver.
thsi program also needs a lot of bandwidth to communicate with the mainserver.
the person who runs this program and is selected on the mainserver, can now acces the server as his gateway (got an idea for spliiting all of the specs on the mainserver and divide it as sub-gateways, so the player's cant see what the others are doing. more explainage later on.) 
from there, he can run powerfull programs, if he's grouped with more players, so they share a server which is more pwoerfull.
the progs on this server have a +25% level, because of the parralel processing of the slaveservers.
also this has a 5% speed bonus to all actions per slaveserver (including up/downloading, which joins costs of the slave progs bandwidth usage, so multiple servs downing parts (torrents anyone?))
so with 10 slaves, it's a 50% bonus.
(numbers can (ans maybe should) be altered for balancing!!)

that's the raw idea, this makes a lot of new virri and tactics and stuff possible,
more next time, because i've got to work now.

will post rest later on!
please provide some feedback,
do you like it? what has to be different? extra ideas? do you hate it?
it's all-open for altering and additions (please)
Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »

first one, botnetting, is proabably already thought of once,
it's simple, more like a question, a prog that 'steals' cpu and memory, (the costs to run the process)
and some bandwidth to communciate with the host,
as is said proabably suggested already, but why was it (probably) rejected?

Actually though this might have been suggested before I don't recall it, at least not in the way I interpret it - let's give it a bit more flesh...

Fact: Programs, particularly v100 + programs suck a significant amount of resources.

Fact: We have a lot of servers out there which can be used fundamentally only in two ways - 1) Install Virii to collect cash. 2) Used as bounces to hide our path through the net/or sniffer nets to find out who has been going through the net (information hubs)

Fact: A young and eager player who gets his hand on high level software is unlikely to have the hardware to run it.

Fact: Today distributed computing is possible - think of things like the SETI project where thousands of computers run part of the program.

So my interpretation on this is to have a means, probably through something like a botnet virus to allow the use of the hardware resources which are laying around unused.

Things to consider:

1) Distributed processes should cost a little more than running local - e.g. 10-20% more or to put it another way, a server with 1000 cpu (lets say there is lots of extra memory) would while running at full capacity only allow 900-800 effective CPU to be contributed to the botnet project.

2) You always need bandwidth for this. Always. One nice way to solve this is to have the botnet virus itself use a certain amount of bandwidth, and be able to manage only a certain amount of "slave" resources (memory and cpu) e.g.

Botnet virus

v 0.1 stats:

2 bps
100 cpu
5000 memory
100 MB

Can effectively "slave":

1000 cpu
50000 memory

all factors scale up linearly with the version of the botnet. (Yeah I know that's not how bots REALLY work - but it would fit into the game environment/balance that way)

coffee1
Adramalech

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:49:24 PM »

nice,
but i think if it takes 100 cpu then the output can't be 1000 cpu?
i think that should be equal, or is this a balancing problem?
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:53:15 PM »

I think that's how much it'd take, not on the HOST computer, but on the CONTROLLER's computer. You run your botnet controller, it takes up resources, and gives you access to UP TO 10x the resources it's running, depending on how many people you've infected. That way, it'll still never give you more resources than exist, which in turn solves the problem of friends cooperating to abuse the botnet.
Adramalech

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:59:25 PM »

ok I understand,
but what about the mainframe thingy?
Adramalech

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »

no other comments?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: