The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 29, 2024, 07:57:38 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Process Tracer -> new software discussion  (Read 13703 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 06, 2009, 01:58:02 PM »

I want to introduce a new software called a "Process Tracer".

Description: Software used by an experienced tracker to analyze a process in search for remnants of the gateway IP that started the process. Software is capable of retrieving an IP even after an IP Change, if the process is still up by listening to the connection between target and receiver.

- will cost about 20 AP and will require 30 minutes for each task (fixed timer on 30 min). Several tasks may be started on same process.
- will require a bit of resources, and can only be started from local gateway to act on local or remote process, like the vir breaker. Will require enough hardware.
- default chance to find the IP responsible for the process will be 5%, and each 0.01 version will increase the chance by 0.001%, up to the maximum chance of 25%.
- Tracer can not be used on virii processes, but could be used on virii activation procs, remote disinfects, vir breaker attempts, del file attempts etc.

I think this can be a nice pvp improvement.
Please comment, suggest changes before implementation.

Thank you.

jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:26:38 PM »

Interesting idea!

Question - when is that max 25% achieved - at which version? (too lazy to do the math 1 )
So after that point, research on this software is useless (unless for points?)

This slims the 'god' mode and can lead to interesting strategies ...

What happens if the process you are tracing is completed meanwhile (for example - virii is installed)

So much for now 1

lpJ.
jimmi33

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »

Indeed this is very nice! but i don't understand why you didn't just modify the VI a bit?
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 03:03:54 PM »

Interesting idea!

Question - when is that max 25% achieved - at which version? (too lazy to do the math 1 )
So after that point, research on this software is useless (unless for points?)

This slims the 'god' mode and can lead to interesting strategies ...

What happens if the process you are tracing is completed meanwhile (for example - virii is installed)

So much for now 1

lpJ.

Process Tracer V 100 will give a 15% chance, V 200 will give 25% chance.

If the process is completed and turns into a virii process, a red message will inform you that it is a virii and can not be traced anymore.

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »

Indeed this is very nice! but i don't understand why you didn't just modify the VI a bit?

Simple, more software creates more diversity 1

jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 04:34:46 PM »

First thank you for your answers. No comments there.
Another question 1
If the process is started on remote process (like VI or breaker), is it shown on remote computer too? And if it is shown there - can it be killed on the remote host or only on local gateway that started it?

Just some questions to help completing this upgrade sooner 1 Cos I see lots of good use for it.

lpJ.
Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »

I think this could be a cool feature to add but instead of limiting it to 25% make it that for every v100 researched you get another 10% added to the chance of finding the IP with an equal increase in the hardware necessary to run it at such a higher level with a v1000 giving you a 100% chance.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »

% is to low to be honest.  I mean if it uses resources like most of the software a V200 will require massive hardware specs.  We want to keep it lower to allow younger players the chance to use it etc.

I would say 5% base with a 1% increase each full version up to 25% cap.  That way it allows max benefit for all players to use and not just the top players.  (Read as in allowing even those down around rank 200 to be able to use it instead of just Rank15+)

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:01 PM »

% is to low to be honest.  I mean if it uses resources like most of the software a V200 will require massive hardware specs.  We want to keep it lower to allow younger players the chance to use it etc.

I would say 5% base with a 1% increase each full version up to 25% cap.  That way it allows max benefit for all players to use and not just the top players.  (Read as in allowing even those down around rank 200 to be able to use it instead of just Rank15+)

I'll make sure the resources usage will not be that high, but not too low, so the low version could be used by anyone while the high version gets increasingly more resources.

gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »

could use it right now, since you made it so that owned servers cannot stop remote processes on themselves...

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 01:23:49 PM »

I think the % chances are pretty fine actually.  Seriously, a 25% chance to get the target's IP would be more than worth a huge resource cost to run it, that's a ridiculously good chance.

Even 5% is better than the VI 2% and you can run it on a bunch of different processes...

gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 10:56:54 PM »

wow, it uses a LOT of resources to run it.... 2400 cpu and 92000 ram for v.1

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 11:01:58 PM »

wow, it uses a LOT of resources to run it.... 2400 cpu and 92000 ram for v.1

yes, it's designed to be used by mid to high level player. Should have plenty of hardware once you really need to use it.

I wonder if we can think of some more mission types that make use of such a tool... hmmm

jimmi33

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 09:57:27 AM »

This needs to be added to the software dealer list.
jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »

Question:

which IP does the tracer gives?
It was said that even if you change IP the tracer can give you new one. But does it 'trace' the process to that new IP?
So, if you change IP and have for example 4 gateways servers - to which IP will the trace lead? To the new one or just to one of the servers?

lpJ.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: