The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 03:14:22 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Newbie Protection  (Read 8914 times)
Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 12:23:15 PM »

I'm going to study the suggestion.

It's usually more difficult to balance a player power restriction protection system then the current server by server, because you would have to account for the attacks of a player in protection.

An option would be to remove protection completely, as since high players can not accept missions on public servers when they are over 1 million and newbie players don't pose a good target for adware virii as they did in the past, the protection is kind of outdated...

emi why not just add a boolean to the user table - once they get a mission against them or any other thing like hitting 200,000 power etc they get flagged - firstly check the flag if that fails revert back to the old check server method
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »

We all know who the brains behind this operation is ;)

Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »

We all know who the brains behind this operation is ;)

its emi and im sure emi will find a way - i just offer advice - which he is free to ignore :P
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »

I was actually going to suggest adding the check to the leaderboard.  He's already doing the Power calculation once an hour.  I don't think giving them an extra hour after passing 200k makes much a difference.

Once an hour, as the leader board is calculated then update the players to 'PVP' if they pass the 200k barrier.  If they are already PVP don't change them.

Then would be rather simple and since it's only updating one-way to PVP nothing would happen if they dropped below 200k.

Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »

I was actually going to suggest adding the check to the leaderboard.  He's already doing the Power calculation once an hour.  I don't think giving them an extra hour after passing 200k makes much a difference.

Once an hour, as the leader board is calculated then update the players to 'PVP' if they pass the 200k barrier.  If they are already PVP don't change them.

Then would be rather simple and since it's only updating one-way to PVP nothing would happen if they dropped below 200k.

that would add another call to the db - i assume the power values are held in a seperate table to the user and server tables

the less lookups per page the better
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »

LOL... Tri.  I think we both are kind of talking about the same thing.

I was referring to having the system, when calculating the leader board, update the PVP (bit) flag in either the player record or update each of the servers that the person owns.

I think he probably is doing a check, right now, on the various server values.  Adding the bit flag to the server table itself would prevent another call, or adding to the player would properly normalize it. 

If adding to the server table he would need to include a call as well when the person purchases another server.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: