The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 09:00:28 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Intranets and Nodes - a little cyberpunk/shadowrun flavour  (Read 6607 times)
black_ice

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »

I was thinking of the possibility of using internal networks inside the mega corps, ala Shadowrun and Cyberpunk.

Here is the idea...

- One main system (DMZ router), which is what we see now when we connect to a server (NPC only)

- Once inside said system, you could potentially run a piece of software to sniff out the "nodes" around you (leading you into the intranet of the "complex"), if you didn't have the sniffer software, you could not see the "nodes"

- The further you go inside the system, you would need higher level software/equipment (or a time variable) to break in further, otherwise, nothing has changed, as far as game mechanics, but you will get less of a gain on the DMZ, than you would inside the complex

- Node Types:
   - HR Records (could be used for retrieval of info for a mission)
   - Payroll (could be used for retrieval of info for a mission, and a good place for HDP draining virii)
   - Research and Development (could be used for retrieval of info for a mission, or a good place to grab that hard to find software)
   - Terminal Servers (could be used for retrieval of info for a mission, and a good place for place for HDP draining virii, as these are linked to corp workers)
   - IC node (this is small hardware appliance that acts as a gateway into the secure corp nodes)
   - Maintenance Node (corp server that has both cron jobs to check to see if the IC are running)

- IC (Intrusion Countermeasures) would be the first level of defence for each node group
   - Keeping the IC busy after you crack it will determine the success of your hack
   - (option 1) a special "timed" virus could be launched to keep the IC program from starting up (basically filling up the memory and CPU)
   - (option 2) use normal malware virus to keep the system jammed up until the maintenance system of that server farm checks runs diagnostics on each IC and finds the ones whom have malware running and then formats those systems, resetting the IC
   - Once the IC has been reset, by either the timer expiring, or the maintenance server formatting the IC (which would take x number of
hours/minutes)
   - The IC will run checks over the Nodes it oversees, and over time will be able to identify and neutralize viruses loaded in said nodes (based on version number vs version number of the IC)

- Maintenance Node
   - Most notable for being the janitor for the IC, once they have gone down
   - If X number of IC go down within a Y time period, the IP is changed on the DMZ and all admin passwords are reset
   - If a skilled hacker gains access to this system, they can turn on/off and format the IC around the complex
    - This would allow the user to see all IP addresses and system types as well
    - This would allow the user to shut the system down (which in turn would pause all jobs, until system restarted)
    - Once system is restarted, IP address and Password would be changed

This leads in to the possibility of contacts (BBS, back alley meeting, etc) to offload your stolen data/software/etc, and the possibility of players (with enough HPD to create "constructs" of their own, which would include IC and Maintenance nodes to guard sensitive data and pending research).

...from what I have seen, in the two days I have been on here, this is possible with a few tweaks/additions, including a real timer (using java script) to countdown the time remaining (while inside the process window, as to now allow our hackers to become lazy) for each process that has a timer, and cron jobs (game server side) to trigger the times to run maintenance on the IC and Maintenance nodes, as well as populating the BBS's and other locations with fresh missions.

BTW this is my first post, so a big hello to the community  12

Discuss 1

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:51:43 AM by black_ice » Logged
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:20:04 PM »

thx! sounds great to me, and we need a bit of a new direction in my opinion, i know more servers requires more server space in real life, but if you can revamp current servers, and make them more interesting (and more complex) then you'd need fewer, and maybe have different kinds of defenses? like in real life there are what are called "honeycomb" defenses, which make it so your rerouted and can't shut down the network..........

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
H4T0R

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »

This looks way to complicated for people who will be new to the game and to hacking
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »

if i may, did you get this idea from uplink?

Anyway, by the looks of it it isnt aimed for newbies ;) they will get their turn...

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
black_ice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:16:54 PM »

if i may, did you get this idea from uplink?

Anyway, by the looks of it it isnt aimed for newbies ;) they will get their turn...

Uplink? Nope, although that game has my respect... I got this idea from pen and paper RPG Shadowrun and Cyberpunk, minus the stats involved in those games, leaving this all to pure skill.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:22:48 PM »

The more ideas we give the more the game feels like Uplink.

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »

i've read shadowrun! (the books), and maybe have this be the way the secret servers run? with a public training server maybe (we need that anyway, no i.p.s, just a place to practice your hacker skills, and maybe have achievements, and maybe win prizes for completing stuff!)

black_ice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:53:17 PM »

i've read shadowrun! (the books), and maybe have this be the way the secret servers run? with a public training server maybe (we need that anyway, no i.p.s, just a place to practice your hacker skills, and maybe have achievements, and maybe win prizes for completing stuff!)

That is a great idea (achievements), as far as the servers, yeah, I was thinking about the model from Shadowrun, but with a more contemporary fact (server farms and virtual servers) and less futuristic fiction (constructs), definitely all of the "secret servers", but also definitely "some" of the standard servers. It will be very important, even before this gets on the drawing board, to create some "safe" hacking training servers, that are tied in to the account of the player, and would become locked out to the user once the hacker has upgraded to a certain MHz speed, transitioning the hacker out of newbiedom.

The theme I was getting at was having consequences for your actions in the servers, and ensuring equal footing for all, as the more experienced players will have to worry about getting in and out of the server, and keeping the IC in check, rather than who is disinfecting their HPD virii.

So yeah, you can get into the financial node inside that mega corp server farm, and yeah, you dropped and installed your HPD virus, but it wont be there indefinitely, as the system will clean itself up once the IC comes back online. ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:55:05 PM by black_ice » Logged
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:28:32 PM »

or at least have an amount of time (and ticker) showing that your virii is being deleted, other wise they won't be able to collect on it  10

Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »

So there will be practice server so we can learn how to do what your talking about. Evan though you have gave many explainations i do not 100% under stand what you ar etalking about.

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 06:06:40 PM »

a safe server, doesn't trace i.p., and no virii can be installed, making it a practice server, where you can learn and fool around, but not do anything, and it gets reset hourly so that there is no issue with people over doing something........

Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:34 PM »

That sounds cool.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: