The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 17, 2024, 07:14:23 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Setting a download speed limit.  (Read 5198 times)
Nagitof

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »

Now that the free repos are going up, everyone is downloading from them, some will NEVER get to download from it. I think that you should be albe to set a download speed limit. Im not sure how many of you have a media server at home, but theres an opption on them to set the max download speed per download. That way poeple will eventualy be able to download some thing. You can also set an upload speed.

The the speeds max can be overrided if you download it by logging in as an admin and download it from the File/Programs bin.

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »

I kinda like that idea.  I was initially against it but it makes sense.  You should be able to limit the people that you "allow" to download, whereas the people that are admin get unlimited access.

Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »

Well i think the simple way this would be handled is by the repository controller who i'm sure frequently checks to make sure that no shananagans are afoot. The controller can always hit the "Attempt to equally balance transfers" which would give many more people some better downloads that .1 and a million year wait. But that again would be at the discretion of the Repo controller.
Exousia
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »

Well i think the simple way this would be handled is by the repository controller who i'm sure frequently checks to make sure that no shananagans are afoot. The controller can always hit the "Attempt to equally balance transfers" which would give many more people some better downloads that .1 and a million year wait. But that again would be at the discretion of the Repo controller.

Does it work that way? I've never had people downloading from my servers and the "attempt to equally balance transfers" button does funky things at lesser bandwidth levels.
Seb

I never sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:42:30 PM »

Yes, equally balance does do strange things, it's still very useful tough  laugh
Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 06:11:24 AM »

I love this idea! I could set the download speed on my servers to the minimum (0.1 bps) and then never ever have to worry about anyone trying to steal my software ever again!!!

(hint - anyone spot the problem here?)

coffee1
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 10:12:50 AM »

I love this idea! I could set the download speed on my servers to the minimum (0.1 bps) and then never ever have to worry about anyone trying to steal my software ever again!!!

(hint - anyone spot the problem here?)

lol

Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:54:12 AM »

Perhaps only enforce the download speed limit on public files?
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 11:19:16 AM »

Ya, I forgot to say that it only effects the Public download. That was accualy the main reason for this idea.

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 12:26:52 PM »

The the speeds max can be overrided if you download it by logging in as an admin and download it from the File/Programs bin.

I was going to present the same argument Witcher, but then I noticed this and just didn't post anything, assuming that other people would notice as well.

Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 03:54:40 PM »

Ya, I forgot to say that it only effects the Public download. That was accualy the main reason for this idea.

In that case it does make a lot more sense - it was in fact implicit in your first post but I half missed it - sorry about that.

coffee1
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: