The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 05:33:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Faster starting server  (Read 15317 times)
FleX

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:15:42 AM »

I think you should start with the following computer when creating your account:

1800MHz
10GB HDD
512Mb RAM (Memory)
256Kbit Connection

As 550Mhz, 2GB HDD, 32MB Memory and !!?>5Kbit<?!! Connection is far too low, as it is right now i won't even call this a game becuase you don't have much to do becuase you have to wait several hours or days to complete something, such as downloading a 100Mb Software from another server?

Honestly, we live in a Hi-Tech world, my real life computer got 1.8GHz, 250GB HDD, 2GB RAM and then i got a 20Mbit//20Mbit Connection, there isn't such thing as a 5Kbit connection, it's just too d**n slow, the slowest connection available in my country is 128Kbit, and i doubt anyone got that anymore as 20Mbit cost the same as 10 packets of smokes, each month.

I also think that you should tweak the prices for Hardware becuase when you start out creating your account, you got no HPD to play with, i firstly started out by going to the Bulletin Board on one of the servers i found and took the highest paid mission, then bypass/crack the admin password on the missions target server wich took approx. 11minutes, then started deletion of the target file, and it kept being interrupted becuase i couldn't cover myself, clean up the log or anything becuase i had no Log Deleter.

But all of all, what i wanna say is that this game is too d**n slow, if you wanna get more players you should speed it up.
I'm already bored of this game, but i like the potential in the game and would like to see it get popular, but it won't get very popular if players now and then create an account, play for like 5minutes and then leave becuase they don't wanna wait all the time.

- FleX
Oscuro1987

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:21:23 AM »

Yay the game is really too slow.... 5000 hours to dl something....
ManoftheSea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:26:28 AM »

5000 hours?  Try not downloading the whole internets at once.

If someone has a bigger pipe, they can put faster than you can get.

You aren't paying for your gateway through True Light, are you?  Why would you expect your system to be anything but a slow virtual machine.  You pay for the upgrades, that's how they getcha.

Finally, there exists a long delay so the game doesn't scale exponentially.  It is balanced against other things.  You don't need to get the file share virus, at 1 GIG, to make your first buck.  Go read the F.A.Q., it has some suggestions on basic slicing.
Oscuro1987

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:39:23 AM »

OK=... I'm doing a mission now, i stopped all the other things.
I must delete a file on a VPC then how much time you guess it will take ?
3hours 46minutes yeah you read right  21

kthxbye  14

EDIT : and meanwhile the mission has been completed by someone else... So wtf am I meant to do ?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:42:35 AM by Oscuro1987 » Logged
FleX

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:59:42 AM »

Yeah all this waiting all the time is annoying, but as i said before, this isn't what i will call a game.
ManoftheSea

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »

Delete time is dependent only on the size of the file being deleted.

I agree, there is a problem with the startup.  There are 500 people competing for jobs on the same 3 servers.  On the other hand, completing even one of the longer jobs will give you the cash to make it to the next rank.  And if you do it wrong, will boost everyone else who hacks you up, too.
FleX

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 09:30:58 AM »

Delete time is dependent only on the size of the file being deleted.

I agree, there is a problem with the startup.  There are 500 people competing for jobs on the same 3 servers.  On the other hand, completing even one of the longer jobs will give you the cash to make it to the next rank.  And if you do it wrong, will boost everyone else who hacks you up, too.

Yeah but, also deletion of files isn't realistic, as on a IRL computer, it's dependent on your processor/ram
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »

Try to take a mission that gives like 5 - 100 HPD reward at first, don't take the 1000 HPD one...  14

Rothum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »

Lie I said in other threads... you need to better manage your mission targets.

And as for the starting levels they are fine.  It reminds me of the old 286 days.  Now THERE was a slow machine.
Zyzzyx

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 10:00:02 PM »

Lie I said in other threads... you need to better manage your mission targets.

And as for the starting levels they are fine.  It reminds me of the old 286 days.  Now THERE was a slow machine.

Thank you.  I owned a PC at one point that actually DID have about 2 Gigs harddrive space and < 500 MHz CPU.

The game isn't meant to start blazingly fast.  In the end I think we'll actually need balancing to slow it down.
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 01:56:27 AM »

I think you should start with the following computer when creating your account:

1800MHz
10GB HDD
512Mb RAM (Memory)
256Kbit Connection

As 550Mhz, 2GB HDD, 32MB Memory and !!?>5Kbit<?!! Connection is far too low, as it is right now i won't even call this a game becuase you don't have much to do becuase you have to wait several hours or days to complete something, such as downloading a 100Mb Software from another server?

Honestly, we live in a Hi-Tech world, my real life computer got 1.8GHz, 250GB HDD, 2GB RAM and then i got a 20Mbit//20Mbit Connection, there isn't such thing as a 5Kbit connection, it's just too d**n slow, the slowest connection available in my country is 128Kbit, and i doubt anyone got that anymore as 20Mbit cost the same as 10 packets of smokes, each month.

I hope you know that a lot of people (Far away from all but a lot of people) actually have what you start with in this game. That is actually true.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Oscuro1987

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 07:28:03 AM »

Lol i finally managed to do a mission wtf...
Zyzzyx

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 12:48:37 PM »

Props
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 01:23:29 PM »

If you can't do a mission try to vote at the top links in the game and get the bonus HPD

Use it to research your firewall or password protect software and bounce bounce  laugh

Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »

Im sorry but I dont think the slowest connection in your country is 128kibi bit. If you have heard of connections that several facilities share you maybee know that the connection can be at the low 1 bit if you are incredibly unlucky. I have a connection of 100Mbit but usually I can only use about 10% because of the other that uses the internet.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: