The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 06:46:44 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Action Points - major update  (Read 46888 times)
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 12:11:29 PM »

thats F***ed up man......... i said this system was going to make game buggy, and sure enough! 9and i'm just a script kiddy who knows some tricks!)

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »

One question:

How many APs do you people have. I am doing my best, and I can't possibly run out of APs: my systems aren't good enough with what I'm doing.

Frankly, I'm on the side against APs. While the other game I play, Pardus, uses APs to limit player activities, it doesn't have any other way to do the same. This game uses timed tasks to limit player activity.

And I think there should only be one limit. As things stand, the people who will rise to the top are the people who can best make use of their APs, which, as mentioned, will the the people who are already there. I don't see this slowing them down. I do see this bringing weaker players into competition with them.

I understand the need to get people away from the game: people who are on 24/7 will have an advantage in any system not governed by APs. However, this is not the way to do it for this game.

Everyone else. Perhaps Siremi is right. Perhaps there needs to be a way to limit what the more powerful players can do. I know that you don't like this idea: what do you suggest? Assume you were the one running this game: what would you do to the game so that the more powerful players couldn't dominate everything.

Me? I would set it up so that each server had a "Heat" stat. The more you ran, the more heat went up. Firewalls, Password protects, virii, and tasks ready to complete wouldn't count towards that number. The less you ran, less heat, and if you were running very little, heat goes down.

And the numbers would be set so that it would be practically impossible to overheat a server until you upgraded it a few times. Perhaps:

-10 heat/minute base
1 heat/minute/kbs used
1 heat/minute/6 CPU Mhz

So the starting server, at full power, would increase 0 heat/minute. My server would do 7 heat/minute at full power.

And, if a server ever hit 1000 Heat, it would fry: the heat would drop 250, you lose a random upgrade, and all tasks contributing heat would end.

This would mean that higher powered players would have to buy multiple servers to keep their activities going, because if they relied on one, it would overheat too fast. By forcing them to buy additional servers, it hits their money hard: it's 20K to buy the server, plus upgrade, and 1K every time they want to change it's IP.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »

i actually agree with what he' saying, this would give everyone a chance, and it would substitute for AP system, while still limiting it in such a way so as to keep things fair

and also have upgrades! (of course) so that you can cool down faster maybe? or have more heat tolerance? (i like first better!)

sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »

<.>

Perhaps a way to boost your ap's periodically like drugs in pardus...

i used to play pardus, and the ap system there works effectively.
However, i do feel that you cant compare the two as they work on different rules. AS stated by zac, ap was the only limiting factor (money to use on drugs not included) whilst in hacker project you are governed by the process times. In a way, this is already implemented with the fact that delete/disinfects/process'es in general take the exact same amount of time for everyone, which in hindsight is a good move.

I just don't think using ap's to limit people's activities is the right choice...

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2008, 12:52:51 PM »

<.>

Perhaps a way to boost your ap's periodically like drugs in pardus...

i used to play pardus, and the ap system there works effectively.
However, i do feel that you cant compare the two as they work on different rules. AS stated by zac, ap was the only limiting factor (money to use on drugs not included) whilst in hacker project you are governed by the process times. In a way, this is already implemented with the fact that delete/disinfects/process'es in general take the exact same amount of time for everyone, which in hindsight is a good move.

I just don't think using ap's to limit people's activities is the right choice...

see, were're not crazy! (tho raver might argue that point >.>) and we have proof!

and it would lead to advantages to big players who have the kind of money necessary!

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2008, 01:05:08 PM »

I really like the heat idea, it fits very well into the context of the game and I think it could bring in a whole new set of game mechanics (instead of having to try and put a virus on the other person's computer to get them you could flood their server with useless tasks to try and force it to overheat... an emergency cooling process similar to the password change and HDD format options...)

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »

but what would happen too virii?

termul

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »

From what i've seen so far .... i'm in favor of the AP system.

Now tell me: do you think it's healthy to spend 14 hours on this game every day.
I believe i'm an average player spending a daily 3-4 hours on this game and there's no way in hell that will ever be out of action points. Hasn't even dropped below 2950 during the day.

Sir Emi can do some minor adjustments at will, but in competition terms the AP system will be a good thing.
But he should also compensate those who have paid for this game and will now have less value for their money.
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2008, 01:21:58 PM »

I'm really confused... I have been at 3000 for a while now (can't seem to get rid of these points quick enough) and then when I just completed a mission I look over and I see 3000 (+10)... I don't understand at all what happened but I'm about to finish some more missions and we will see what happens from there...

Edit:  So I completed another mission... 2990 (-10)... refresh the page and it's already 2992 (+2)... strange...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:23:34 PM by Araeus » Logged

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »

it's our choice, and i don't have anything better to do, and anyways, look at tribalwars, they're doing fine, with enw players sitting right next to the oldest in the game, we just need clan system to be able to be able to get this going.......

AriaSteelfire

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2008, 01:55:31 PM »

I'm really confused... I have been at 3000 for a while now (can't seem to get rid of these points quick enough) and then when I just completed a mission I look over and I see 3000 (+10)... I don't understand at all what happened but I'm about to finish some more missions and we will see what happens from there...

Edit:  So I completed another mission... 2990 (-10)... refresh the page and it's already 2992 (+2)... strange...

There is a counter that is taking place, every time you refresh the page,  a plus sign indicates that you have gained AP since the last time you hit the web page.  A minus sign indicates you did something that took action points.

As far as the AP system is concerned, I am a gold member and rose to the 7th rank before falling back to 17ish.  I don't like the idea of something limiting my actions for a game that I chose to pay money to play, even though I will NEVER drop 24 hours at a setting on this or any game, I feel that if someone wants to do that, then they should have the advantage over me instead of being limited.  Similar to WoW, you spend time and energy into a game, you should get rewarded.
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »

thank you, and please sign petition, we've so far all agreed that heat would be a better limiter than Ap, especially for overactive (and obviously dedicated) newbies

Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2008, 02:13:06 PM »

From what i've seen so far .... i'm in favor of the AP system.
Not to sound like an elitist, but exactly how much have you seen termul?
Now tell me: do you think it's healthy to spend 14 hours on this game every day.
and do you believe that it's your responsibility to decide how people should spend their time?
I believe i'm an average player spending a daily 3-4 hours on this game and there's no way in hell that will ever be out of action points. Hasn't even dropped below 2950 during the day.
Everyone likes to believe that how they play is the norm. Believe me, I could easily spend 5K+ AP per day playing less than 2 hours. What are your system specs? For example, if I wanted to, my computer could handle well over 500 delete missions simultaneously. That's 5K ap right there.
Sir Emi can do some minor adjustments at will, but in competition terms the AP system will be a good thing.
AP is good for you, because you're not one of the more active players and haven't found a way to spend your AP quickly.
But he should also compensate those who have paid for this game and will now have less value for their money
Although I'd love a refund of my gold membership money, I'd probably stop playing if I got it. I really like the game I paid for, but in many ways I'm no longer playing that game. On the other hand, there's no way that siremi can really afford to reimburse us - real server aren't free, and his time isn't cheap either.
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »

fact of the matter is that siremi screwed up big on this one................ and i don't care if i get banned for saying it, it's the truth and it needs to be heard, even if no one else is brave enough to say it

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2008, 02:17:56 PM »

You know what I love most about the AP system?

There is now no way a new player can ever reach the top 10.

I mean honestly think about it.  I know I use Virii and Missions to make my HPD.   My Virii are Free HPD without the cost of AP except when I install new ones.  So I get that income and all the income from missions.  How can a newer or younger player hope to even compete with that?

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to: