The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 19, 2024, 05:12:32 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: DDoS attacks  (Read 24067 times)
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 05:51:20 AM »

I didnt say that SGP was controlling the servers. Only that they claim them for themselves. On a public server you can upload and install everything including adware and fileshare. And no one wants to hinder them because of their punishing methods. There is a thread about that somewhere.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Krieger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 06:03:00 AM »

I don't like the idea. Maybe it works in other games, like Slave Hack, but each game is different to others, and it won't work in this game, I think.

Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »

The issue isn't that the older players are the only ones to be attended to... it's that by the time you become an older player, you have a better idea of the way the game works, as well as knowing likely both which types of changes would be abused heavily, and which kinds of changes would just be annoyances to newbies and make the game less played. 1 Right now, we mostly get the second type, to try to fix the first type of issues... updates that make the game more difficult for newbies to catch up to older players, which the older players almost immediately figure out how to avoid the negative bits from, but which retain their limitations to the newbies.

The point that you're questioning AD is exactly the point being made... Your level isn't reflective to THIS game's gameplay and balance. there's people out there with well over 100 private computers infected. What if they decided to run a DoS against you? No real negative to them, but major pain for you. And there's nothing you can do... you won't have the 1000 HPD for an IP change every hour... but they can buy your IP for under 100k. And once they've done it once, VERY easy to find you again.

And to explain, secret servers are the NPC servers that don't link off the public servers, specifically the ones that show under the 'secret' category in the ip database. There's over 400 now, going a decent bit past 1 now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:38:28 AM by Theraze » Logged
Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »

Thanks.
I didnt know what version their up to or how many there are because I dont use the secret servers.

rokalth

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »

YEs, but ddos is only way to organised group of small players to attack one big player..
Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 10:10:43 AM »

But they have to know this persons IP first and then they have to crack him (Or else the firewall dont really have a purpous. In RL its hindering bad stuff from enter your computer.). I dont think that is going to happen.

rokalth

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »

Actually, ddos attack can block your bandwidth without firewall bypass...

I think this could work so that every server can block only 1 Kb bandwidth. Even how big the server is. So, ddosd would only be possible if organized group of 20-50 players would start to bonbard one target.

Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 10:59:58 AM »

But someone as Ebolla have more then one gateway and over 100 BW on all of them.

neo alpha

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 11:24:48 AM »

But someone as Ebolla have more then one gateway and over 100 BW on all of them.

over just 100 bw on each ?

He have 3 gateways with more than 500 kbps each...

I have a total of 150 kb in 2 gateways ( one with 100 and another with 50 ) and i'm not even top 50 :P

Add
to MSN
Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »

I wasnt sure about the BW. Latest thing I heard was that Soviet had over 70 and that was before Ebolla bought his/her second gateway.

Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 12:05:54 PM »

Yeah, the problem with this is unless each individual attack has a LOT of power, a ddos is going to hurt a new player much more than a top tenner. I mean, I'm not a bandwidth person, but based on personal experience, 100 bandwidth is less than an hours income in the top ten. And bear in mind, I'm nearly the WEAKEST up there ;)
neo alpha

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 12:07:29 PM »

Yeah, the problem with this is unless each individual attack has a LOT of power, a ddos is going to hurt a new player much more than a top tenner. I mean, I'm not a bandwidth person, but based on personal experience, 100 bandwidth is less than an hours income in the top ten. And bear in mind, I'm nearly the WEAKEST up there ;)

No... If i'm not wrong ; ebolla said at the irc that he get hourly about 10k... ( i am probably wrong )

50 kbps = 12k

btw ; ebolla have 3 servers and soviet 5

Add
to MSN
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 12:29:11 PM »

That was a while ago. If he hasn't better than doubled that, I'll eat my metaphorical hat.
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 03:45:24 PM »

I wasnt sure about the BW. Latest thing I heard was that Soviet had over 70 and that was before Ebolla bought his/her second gateway.

Over 70?  I'm pretty sure everyone in SGP has more bw than me and I have 600.  I've seen uploads going to secret servers at multiple thousands of bw.

A DDoS attack from smaller players working together is a good idea, but the problem is that it will barely be a minor annoyance for the higher players, who can then just break into the smaller players and kill the attack.  Really not very useful unless it is implemented well.

RavenXP

rgongora2002@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »

Perhaps you could qualify me Arthur as I am beyond 1M points.  5

Been thinking about this stuff for days now.
This could give potential to PvP warfare for HP.

How about this:

Denial of Service Malware

1.) You infect a server with DoS viruses.
2.) You activate the viruses and select a target player's IP.
3.) Each activated virus takes 10kbps BW (depends on level) from the host.
4.) Each activated virus will take 10kbps BW (depends on level) of the target player's gateway.
5.) Target player will lose 5% of income that he is gathering from his income-generating viruses.

Notes:
* Viruses from host server will lose 5% income generated per 10kbps lost from DoS malware since its bandwidth is being eaten.
* Upload and activate it in different servers and that makes it DDoS.

Now that's brutal and could stop the income of a top player who doesn't change IP and only log 3 times a day!  5

Solution to being targeted by DoS virus:
1.) Use IP change.
2.) Capture the virus and optionally disable it or kill the BW of another player's gateway.
3.) Disinfect the viruses using Malware Anti-Virus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to: