The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 27, 2024, 11:32:14 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Changing ip's kills certain process's  (Read 32070 times)
sovietpride

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:27:01 AM »

It's starting to get annoying now, when you can't trace people who are dis-infecting or downloading your stuff because they changed their ip's.

I, for one, believe it or not cannot watch over my virii every hour or so.

In my opinion, rregardless of how you change your ip, the following should be dis-continued:

Downloads
Dis-infects
Deletes? not sure on this one.

IT might be game-play intentional, but it means they are beyond reprisal. if they pay 1000 hpd to keep their security, i want to pay 1000 hpd to keep my virii safe >.>

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 06:55:17 AM »

I personally think changing IPs should kill all processes,including virii connections. Just make the current ones run without an owner until someone snags/disinfects it. Makes it less likely that the higher end players will just throw some easily gained HPD at a problem when they stand to lose all their moneymakers.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 06:58:48 AM »

I don't.

I.e, since research/firewallprotect etc are wholly internal, i don't see how they would be affected.

I also don't support losing connection to all of your virii, since im assuming it acts on a sort of recognition code type system, where it doesnt matter where you are, you can access them as long as you have the right login as it were.

Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:16:24 AM »

I would imagine in the case of virii however,that it would report information back to a certain address.If that address changes,it wouldnt know where to send the information,and store it until it was able to(or had a different address to send it to). Honestly,taking away one side of the spectrum (disinfects) without doing the same for the other side (virii),unbalances the situation even more. If you want 100% protection,you should have to watch it 100% of the time-No one should be invulnerable,as it were. You cant seriously be complaining after all the stuff Ive seen across so many servers-roughly 6 people have almost locked down almost 50 servers (by my count),and its only getting worse. Instead of worrying about the couple virii you can easily get back,we should all concentrate on the real problems at hand-No increase in research costs despite income increase,and the ability to take missions against your own virii.

PauloHaddad

paulochf@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:58:32 PM »

I have to disagree.

If I would, I could call my ISP and say to change my IP here. It 'll cost nothing.

Now, ask to keep virus running, just if it was a floo one, lol. Sorry, but I don't think so.

If I write something wrong, grammatically speaking, please msg me!
please

Thx!  13
XRay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »

I would imagine in the case of virii however,that it would report information back to a certain address.

Modern viruses don't rely on a static IP server to be controlled. For example, the Storm botnet changes the server addresses so often that it's very hard to track down the owner of the botnet, using a method that I never really understood (check Wikipedia for details). So I don't see that you need static IPs for such stuff. Local processes should also be unaffected, on course.

Virus uploads should be stopped like all other active remote connections, so I don't see how disconnects on IP change are unbalancing in favor of virus users. People who upload and install virii still need to keep their IP for an extended period of time - they can only change it when they're done. People who disinfect or capture viruses can also change their IP after getting their job done. If you can change your IP and keep all connections up, that kind of defeats the purpose of logs and log software.

The only way to "trace" people with the current system is to hack people at random and see whether the process you're looking for is in their process list. This isn't a very sophisticated strategy, and I'd like real log tracing to be a viable strategy again. (It was in the first days of the game when no one could afford IP changes.)

If you're planning well, you can use bounces to protect yourself for at least multiple hours. I think the maximum number of bounces for non-gold players must be increased to at least 10 to compensate for this, so a tracing player must spend up to 10 hours cracking if you use well-protected nodes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:47:56 PM by XRay » Logged
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »

actually, i quite foolishlessly uploaded a virus (0.614 plz dont stop me) to a server and forgot to hide/delete. i didnt' realise the server didnt have enough cpu left to run it so..

there are several of those runnign around.

i've left several 1.5+'s out there too soemwhere o.o

Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:05:08 PM »

Just kinda /signing the idea that changing the IP kills certain things, otherwise the game will lose appeal as everyone changes IP's during every big job.
HJ®
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »

Bah. I haven't changed my IP in at least a week.
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »

nor have i, but then again im running uber l33t protection software so fruit that.

sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »

or if that is not possible just as ip changes can only happen once a week with formatting, make the ip change (bought) either:

1. A set many times per week it can be changed.
2. price increases each time it is used 1k->2k->4k->8k which is brought back down over time.

Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 05:16:50 PM »

No, it should never be impossible to IP change; it exists for legitimate reasons. I mean, if someone is in my computer and they have better breaker software than I can counter, IP changing is the only way to get them out.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 07:31:21 PM »

Ok reading this, this is what I get just to surmise for Sir Emi

IP Change should kill the following
File Transfers
File Activations(should this include delete,hide, AV, and encrypt since they are done remotely)
Virus Breakers (after all this is done remotely)

Is that how I understand it?  If so then I agree fully. 

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »

Of course you do.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 09:45:09 PM »

Of course you do.

And your post furthers the discussion how?

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to: